• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I finally got my Standard Manufacturing 1911. Thanks to Mike at Badger Creek.
    Can't say enough good about Him and his shop. He put me on the waiting list and 3 or 4 months gave me a call saying one is in if you want it. The pictures just do not do it justice. Best pistol for the money. Fit and finish are unbelievable. Its so blue and shiny I just can't get the reflection out.
    I haven't fired it yet but I'm sure it will be as good as it looks.
    Mike is a long time friend of mine. He is a hoot. And a good man.
    I try and tell everyone that will listen about the offerings from Standard.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Okay, I know this isn't a 1911, but it's close. Ballester Molina made for the Argentine Navy (Armada Argentina) manufactured sometime between 1938 and 1942. Just arrived today (Gunbroker find). Fit and finish is outstanding and the trigger feels great. Really looks unissued because there's no wear on the exposed part of the barrel in the ejection port.

View attachment 180549 View attachment 180550

Edit: My mistake... it was made between 1944 and 1953. So it's practically brand new! :):
    I will have to admit it is very 1911-ish.
    When you brought it over and I got to fondle it I was impressed with the fit and finish on this piece. The trigger is a bit odd if you really play with it but still crisp.
    I like it.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Mike is a long time friend of mine. He is a hoot. And a good man.
    I try and tell everyone that will listen about the offerings from Standard.
    Agree 100%... Standard Manufacturing is so underrated. I paid $1295. That won't get you a DW or a nice Colt. The fit and The finish are unbelievable for that price. Its so Beautifully made. I hate to even shoot it....lol
    But I have and I will. it's the nicest shooting 1911 I have and by Far the best looking. I plan on one day after recovering from this purchase getting one of the SAA Colt clones in .45 Colt.
    It's actually better than the Colt.
    If you haven't looked into Standard Manufacturing you should. There a part of Connecticut Shotgun and the quality shows.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I just inherited this from my late stepfather. And with a bit of Googling I finally figured out this is a U.S. Colt/Springfield Armory Model 1911A1 National Match. If I read correctly, this was a joint venture between Colt and SA that began in the late 30's for military marksmanship competitions. So nothing like I originally thought, which I kind of figured quickly with the forward slanting of the rear slide cocking serrations and the target-style sights. My best guess is the adjustable rear sight would put this piece in the early 60's.

There are clearly some areas of patina that concern me, but I don't know if I can bring myself to have any part of this piece of history refinished. It's only original once, but I may have to in order to keep it from pitting. I've field stripped it and gave it a pretty liberal coating of oil on the moving parts, cleaned out the striker and extractor channels, and went over the exterior carefully with oiled gunwipes. Other than the extractor being pretty dirty (doubt it had ever been removed), it was surprisingly clean under the hood. The bore is nice and shiny with fairly crisp-looking rifling.

Pics below:

20220306_113246.jpg 20220306_113230.jpg
    20220306_113321.jpg
    20220306_113259.jpg

Last edited:

GRAVES219

Black Rifles Matter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Hobart
    I just inherited this from my late stepfather. And with a bit of Googling I finally figured out this is a U.S. Colt/Springfield Armory Model 1911A1 National Match. If I read correctly, this was a joint venture between Colt and SA that began in the late 30's for military marksmanship competitions. So nothing like I originally thought, which I kind of figured quickly with the forward slanting of the rear slide cocking serrations and the target-style sights. My best guess is the adjustable rear sight would put this piece in the early 60's.

There are clearly some areas of patina that concern me, but I don't know if I can bring myself to have any part of this piece of history refinished. It's only original once, but I may have to in order to keep it from pitting. I've field stripped it and gave it a pretty liberal coating of oil on the moving parts, cleaned out the striker and extractor channels, and went over the exterior carefully with oiled gunwipes. Other than the extractor being pretty dirty (doubt it had ever been removed), it was surprisingly clean under the hood. The bore is nice and shiny with fairly crisp-looking rifling.
    Is that blood stains? PLEASE do not scrub them off. It looks so good

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Is that blood stains? PLEASE do not scrub them off. It looks so good
    @GRAVES219 - hahh! No, it's patina. The insides are super clean but the slide didn't fare as well not being stored in more of a humidity-controlled environment. Once I get a chance to shoot it to see how it functions, I may schedule a meeting with @AllenM to get this refinished. Which I don't feel funny about since this didn't see any combat. If it was a true warhorse I would leave it alone, but for this one I think I'll need to do something to keep the patina from pitting.

Further research surfaced that this is likely a 1966-67 rebuild due to having the Elliason adjustable rear sight for the Camp Perry competitions, and that sight was only used those two years.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Picked up a Nighthawk Custom Colt 70’s series, picture really does not do it justice! I’d been hankering for one for a couple of years, saved up to order it from Nighthawk Custom only to find out they stopped selling them due to being unable option any from Colt but they said if I found one on my own and sent to them they would do the work, started looking on Gunbroker and low and behold found this one for sale and was able to win the bid for the same price as if I had ordered originally

Attachments

• 4E680037-6C1B-47DD-835E-A76AE14B0405.jpeg
      4E680037-6C1B-47DD-835E-A76AE14B0405.jpeg
      561.2 KB · Views: 25

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    @GRAVES219 - hahh! No, it's patina. The insides are super clean but the slide didn't fare as well not being stored in more of a humidity-controlled environment. Once I get a chance to shoot it to see how it functions, I may schedule a meeting with @AllenM to get this refinished. Which I don't feel funny about since this didn't see any combat. If it was a true warhorse I would leave it alone, but for this one I think I'll need to do something to keep the patina from pitting.

Further research surfaced that this is likely a 1966-67 rebuild due to having the Elliason adjustable rear sight for the Camp Perry competitions, and that sight was only used those two years.
    I would think long and hard about refinishing that pistol. It looks like a Match gun built during the 60’s for you guessed it, the National Matches. They varied a bit from year to year but all were quite similar. I have a very nice one, or two, around here somewhere. I’d have to get my books out to tell you for certain. It looks as it it’s been refinished once but I’d have to inspect it a bit closer to give you a better guesstamemt. Allen would be able to tell as well. It’s a nice gun nonetheless.

GRAVES219

Black Rifles Matter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Hobart
    I'd like to get another 1911 in the near future. Looking mainly for a USGI A1, although the CMP are crazy expensive. Maybe the cheaper Turkish knockoff?!?
    Tisas makes an incredible GI 1911, all forged. I have the DB45R (duty sized, 45, with half rail) and plan to get another in stainless soon. They also have a GI version as well. IMO feels sturdier than Rock Island

Top Bottom