• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    How do ejected shells get out of that? It's covering the ejection port, isn't it?
    The mount is basically at the breech of the barrel. When the slide moves backwards to eject the spent casing, it clears the mount. I knew a guy that put one on a Kimber back in the day and shot really well with it until he stepped up to a full on 2011 built race fun.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I have been shooting NRA bullseye since before optics were allowed. I have been running our local Club matches for 31 years. The most prevalent mount is the Clark scope base which mounts directly to the slide via drilled and tapped holes. The most prevalent optic is the Ultradot.
    There are over half the shooters using the Range Officer with this scope/mount combo. They have put in 11 pound recoil springs and have great functional reliability and accuracy.
    The problem with a frame mounted base is that the slide to frame fit must be tight for accuracy. Slide mounted scopes don't have this issue.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The mount is basically at the breech of the barrel. When the slide moves backwards to eject the spent casing, it clears the mount. I knew a guy that put one on a Kimber back in the day and shot really well with it until he stepped up to a full on 2011 built race fun.
    Thanks, I get it now. I forgot to take into account the slide movement when fired.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    The Clark does look to be the most solid way to go, but it looks as though they do the standard 5in and longer 6in Govt frames (mine's 4in).

Calling Kimber today to see what they can suggest.

I was reading here that the grip-type mount may not be as rigid over time. Assembly looks like it could be tricky, but that would cost me less than buying a new gun!

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Right. Looking to mount something around a 1.5x or as high as maybe a 3x. I‘m new to handgun hunting, but would want to be accurate out to 40-50 yards or so, and with my eyes, I can‘t see doing that with a holo or iron sights.

I could be wrong about the holo sight, but I’d hate to pursue that expense to learn that the original plan was ideal.

Top Bottom