• ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Any stark differences between the two?
    Biggest thing for me is the LOK are made in the US. The Cool Hand didn't state anywhere on it where they were made, I suspect china.

The LOK were better finished on the backside. The Cool Hand were rougher and I took some sandpaper to them to smooth them out. Other than that they both feel good. I always recommend the LOK first because they were a little cleaner finish and I know where they were made.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You might consider also adding the finger grips (maybe already mentioned but I did not read the whole thread). I put these on my Charles Daly Field 1911 and it forced me to hold it slightly lower so that it stopped beating my hand at the back of my thumb. also bulked out the grip slightly in width where it lays under the grips, making it better fit my hand.
    s-l300.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182001662360

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    You might consider also adding the finger grips (maybe already mentioned but I did not read the whole thread). I put these on my Charles Daly Field 1911 and it forced me to hold it slightly lower so that it stopped beating my hand at the back of my thumb. also bulked out the grip slightly in width where it lays under the grips, making it better fit my hand.
    s-l300.jpg

I understand they may be effective....but rubber finger grooves on a classic 1911 are an abomination. Same for grip tape.

Wood on a show-gun, aggressive g10 on a go-gun.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Old school wood. Very grippy. View attachment 262893
    I understand they may be effective....but rubber finger grooves on a classic 1911 are an abomination. Same for grip tape.

Wood on a show-gun, aggressive g10 on a go-gun.
    I agree with nice wood, ivory or bone on a “barbecue gun” and G10 on a street gun but I have used skateboard tape on a couple front straps and it’s a pretty effective gripping surface. The tape gives them the old school competitive look, not great on all guns, but effective nonetheless.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Biggest thing for me is the LOK are made in the US. The Cool Hand didn't state anywhere on it where they were made, I suspect china.

The LOK were better finished on the backside. The Cool Hand were rougher and I took some sandpaper to them to smooth them out. Other than that they both feel good. I always recommend the LOK first because they were a little cleaner finish and I know where they were made.
    I am thinking they are made in Michigan? small business, in a very difficult environment to do business in.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    s-l300.jpg

Thanks

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Generally I'd agree with you and @pmbiker above, but these one piece Hogue grips make this 10mm feel real niiiiice.

View attachment 263888

I bet they do, and that would be perfect for a carry gun. Mine is more a range toy so I like having the wood grips over the rubber. Here is my $500 Charles Daly Field .45 ACP with the rubber finger grips (sorry image quality of flip phone is bad):
    1679240797766.png

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    On a full sized 1911 I love checkered rosewood double diamond grips. Maybe even with a small medallion of the maker a la S&W or Colt. Sorry, I’m a classicist at heart. :wavey:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I Love looking at all the beautiful wood, bone, synthetic and other very fine styled grips.

That said, Any 1911 I have had in the last 30 years wears Hogue finger groove rubber grips. Even my Beretta pistols wear the same. Not fashionable, not good looking, not even unique. They just plain get the pistol in the right position in my hand to quickly start engaging the target. Slow fire bullseye, they also work perfectly.

I just have to live my life with out any compliments about fancy looking firearms.

Top Bottom