• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    A little checkering I did over the weekend.

Springfield stainless frame.

Once I know me vise is square in the mill, I use the cutting bit to find the lowest point on the front strap. Then I use that point to set my depth of cut.. Like most 1911's it was closer to the trigger guard.
    Depth depends on the LPI choice. I have the options to do 20, 25 and 30 LPI with this setup.

I work my way around with the horizontal lines, or vertical lines, which ever you want to call these...
    It looks like i could go up farther but the frame starts to get thicker at this point so it is where I am stopping. Not all frames are equal here.

Then the fixture is is turned up and I start working my way down. this is the tedious part. Make 1 cut and adjust the mill each time

A little hand cleanup with a file if needed.

Since it is a stainless frame I do not have to refinish it, Just a little bead blasting to restore original look

Done

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Beautiful job. I did a couple the old fashion way years ago. A stainless and a blued steel one. The stainless took me eight hours to do then it took a week before I could use that hand for any type of work. After that I said never again.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Beautiful work.

Thanks for sharing this with us. It gives me a "peek behind the curtain" as to how these processes come about, and an appreciation for the skill and artistry that goes into it.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks, I don't even like shooting a 1911 near as much if the front strap isn't checkered. Makes a world of difference, It is a little tedious but worth it.
    I cant imagine the guys that do this by hand with a file.

Top Bottom