• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm working on "optimizing" my 1911 since it is basically the last firearm I have left that I have not done so since I wasn't shooting it. Now that I am again, I want to add an ambi-safety.

I'm looking at either an Ed Brown, Wilson or EGW. Any recommendations for any of those or maybe something else?

Also, what about "tactical" vs "match" styles? The factory one on my RO appears to be more along the lines of the tactical in regards to width.

This pistol will be a range gun and possible match gun. I already use it for the CC matches at Riley and am going to try a Steel Challenge and USPSA with it. Thanks.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm working on "optimizing" my 1911 since it is basically the last firearm I have left that I have not done so since I wasn't shooting it. Now that I am again, I want to add an ambi-safety.

I'm looking at either an Ed Brown, Wilson or EGW. Any recommendations for any of those or maybe something else?

Also, what about "tactical" vs "match" styles? The factory one on my RO appears to be more along the lines of the tactical in regards to width.

This pistol will be a range gun and possible match gun. I already use it for the CC matches at Riley and am going to try a Steel Challenge and USPSA with it. Thanks.
    I like the Wilson bullet proof ambi but the EGW is similar in design. These safeties in my opinion tend to be a bit stronger (less wiggle between halves over time) than the traditional ambi's out there. You don't have to shorten your pins or have the grip cut to use them. The Wilson BP or EGW HD safeties are pricey though.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the Wilson bullet proof ambi but the EGW is similar in design. These safeties in my opinion tend to be a bit stronger (less wiggle between halves over time) than the traditional ambi's out there. You don't have to shorten your pins or have the grip cut to use them. The Wilson BP or EGW HD safeties are pricey though.
    I'm okay with spending some money but if I spend that much, I'll have to think about asking AllenM to do the fitment. I'd hate to ruin something that is $100+.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm okay with spending some money but if I spend that much, I'll have to think about asking AllenM to do the fitment. I'd hate to ruin something that is $100+.
    When it comes to fitment I definitely take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I am good with building an AR from parts that are all in spec. 1911's is another story. I had to have my WC square firing pin block fitted because it didn't slip right in lol. Glad I took it to my Gunsmith he said it was a job getting it fit into my RIA Ultra FS 10MM. It is stainless steel and it sure looks nice when he got done.

1627752078914.png

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you've never done them before than yes I would have someone fit it, especially with thumb safeties, one pass too many with the file and you've ruined it.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have had Allen A fit Wilson's on two Colt Rail Guns. If using shoulder holster use the tactical as the smaller lever fits better. Using a belt holster use the one that works best for you.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I have a Colt 80 series that I had an ambi added to it. My local gun shop ordered the parts and then I brought the gun in and they installed the ambi. About $78 total for parts and labor. The ambi matches the texture and color of the gun. Took about 15 minutes and they did not mod anything on the gun.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have a Colt 80 series that I had an ambi added to it. My local gun shop ordered the parts and then I brought the gun in and they installed the ambi. About $78 total for parts and labor. The ambi matches the texture and color of the gun. Took about 15 minutes and they did not mod anything on the gun.
    What brand was it, at a minimum you usually have to mod the sear and hammer pin and grips if they're not already notched. For the newer Wilson BP and EGW HD style you don't have to do that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I ordered the Wilson BP Wide version today. I'll have Allen fit it. I'd hate to ruin a $150 safety because I wouldn't listen to Clint Eastwood's sage advice.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    I am no expert, I screwed up an expensive ambi that I tried to put on my 1911. I guess that I thought that welding and fabricating would set me up for being a gunsmith. WRONG! If you do the ambi yourself, please, please, do the proper safety checks. No body needs racing stripes from an NG or a full auto 1911.
    Hope your project goes well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am no expert, I screwed up an expensive ambi that I tried to put on my 1911. I guess that I thought that welding and fabricating would set me up for being a gunsmith. WRONG! If you do the ambi yourself, please, please, do the proper safety checks. No body needs racing stripes from an NG or a full auto 1911.
    Hope your project goes well.
    Thanks! But I ended up returning it. I decided that it wasn't worth the money in smithing and the part so that I could occasionally use it when I shot weak hand.

I don't compete in matches and decided I'm not going to start with the exception of the CC match at Riley.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Just a short (Long) story. I had built a couple ARs. No big deal. I decided I wanted a challenge so I was going to build my 1st 1911 being a 1911 addict.
    First I got the 1911 manual and read it from cover to cover. Then started ordering parts as I could afford. Yes there are a lot of tools you need. Probably 3-500 dollars worth. Files jigs stones ect ect. I ordered them. When I had everything together I started. Moving with the speed of a Sloth that just ate a big lunch. I started fitting and filing bit by bit. Once the slide and frame were fitted and very nicely I might add my confidence was high. Then I ruined a $200 barrel by thinking I'm a gunsmith now...lol
    Well I ordered another barrel and got it perfect. To shorten the story, very slowly I got the rest of it together. Went to the range confident it was going to be great.
    Total failure. Took it home did some work to the extractor a little more filing here and there.
    (It was way to tight) then back to the range. Well I ordered the wrong size front sight. I couldn't adjust the rear to compensate. So my matched set it due to arrive today. Fixed Novak style. BUT
    The gun ran flawless other than that.
    200 rounds with no failures at all except it shot 4in to high. Hoping that will be resolved with the new set of sights.
    So I guess the point is if you have the interest in doing the work dont be scared. Yes you might run into issues but you will learn ALOT By doing things yourself. If its your only gun I get that.
    If you don't like spending the money on something that might not go right I total get that. And some people just are not interested in this type of thing. I also have many years experience working with precision equipment where tolerance matters. BUT If you think its something you might like the end is very rewarding when you do it yourself and its finally right its a great feeling.
    All that said you can buy a gun cheaper than you can build one. But it won't have the same personal gratification.

Attachments

• 20210802_093917.jpg
      20210802_093917.jpg
      1,013.2 KB · Views: 5
    • 20210827_133503.jpg
      20210827_133503.jpg
      3 MB · Views: 5
    • 20210827_133436.jpg
      20210827_133436.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 4
    • 20210827_133424.jpg
      20210827_133424.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 4
    • 20210802_120744.jpg
      20210802_120744.jpg
      2.8 MB · Views: 5

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just a short (Long) story. I had built a couple ARs. No big deal. I decided I wanted a challenge so I was going to build my 1st 1911 being a 1911 addict.
    First I got the 1911 manual and read it from cover to cover. Then started ordering parts as I could afford. Yes there are a lot of tools you need. Probably 3-500 dollars worth. Files jigs stones ect ect. I ordered them. When I had everything together I started. Moving with the speed of a Sloth that just ate a big lunch. I started fitting and filing bit by bit. Once the slide and frame were fitted and very nicely I might add my confidence was high. Then I ruined a $200 barrel by thinking I'm a gunsmith now...lol
    Well I ordered another barrel and got it perfect. To shorten the story, very slowly I got the rest of it together. Went to the range confident it was going to be great.
    Total failure. Took it home did some work to the extractor a little more filing here and there.
    (It was way to tight) then back to the range. Well I ordered the wrong size front sight. I couldn't adjust the rear to compensate. So my matched set it due to arrive today. Fixed Novak style. BUT
    The gun ran flawless other than that.
    200 rounds with no failures at all except it shot 4in to high. Hoping that will be resolved with the new set of sights.
    So I guess the point is if you have the interest in doing the work dont be scared. Yes you might run into issues but you will learn ALOT By doing things yourself. If its your only gun I get that.
    If you don't like spending the money on something that might not go right I total get that. And some people just are not interested in this type of thing. I also have many years experience working with precision equipment where tolerance matters. BUT If you think its something you might like the end is very rewarding when you do it yourself and its finally right its a great feeling.
    All that said you can buy a gun cheaper than you can build one. But it won't have the same personal gratification.
    I have a natural inclination to either building my own or taking something used and rebuilding it. I'm not the type that really likes brand new things. I suppose it has something to do with putting that first flaw on the item. Or maybe it's the challenge of making something that is a little tired better.

Or maybe it's a bit of both. I just bought a used kayak. Plenty of scratches on the bottom due to river running. Yes, I'm shaving the plastic "curls", scrubbing it and putting a coat of 303 on it. But I'm relaxed knowing that if/when I put a scratch in the bottom, it's okay.

I do my own revolver work knowing that I can always get it to BossHoss if I mess something up. :)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have a natural inclination to either building my own or taking something used and rebuilding it. I'm not the type that really likes brand new things. I suppose it has something to do with putting that first flaw on the item. Or maybe it's the challenge of making something that is a little tired better.

Or maybe it's a bit of both. I just bought a used kayak. Plenty of scratches on the bottom due to river running. Yes, I'm shaving the plastic "curls", scrubbing it and putting a coat of 303 on it. But I'm relaxed knowing that if/when I put a scratch in the bottom, it's okay.

I do my own revolver work knowing that I can always get it to BossHoss if I mess something up. :)
    Yep. Its like finding a old table at a yard sale and refinishing it to a beautiful piece that has character

Top Bottom