• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Every once in a while I will watch one of Bill Wilson’s videos happened to see one of them about the benefits of carrying a 1911. Nit that I need to be sold on the idea, but it was interesting. I was curious when they made the reference that a 1911 was safer by virtue of having a thumb safety which could slow operation of the pistol in untrained hands? Essential blocking the slide from being racked when engaged, or that people might not know how to disengage it? I was wondering if this was a really dated reference or if people are really that unfamiliar with the 1911?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Every once in a while I will watch one of Bill Wilson’s videos happened to see one of them about the benefits of carrying a 1911. Nit that I need to be sold on the idea, but it was interesting. I was curious when they made the reference that a 1911 was safer by virtue of having a thumb safety which could slow operation of the pistol in untrained hands? Essential blocking the slide from being racked when engaged, or that people might not know how to disengage it? I was wondering if this was a really dated reference or if people are really that unfamiliar with the 1911?
    The average criminal who would seek to take a gun from someone and shoot them with it, is probably not well versed in 1911's, like the average car thief these days is probably not versed in driving a manual shift.

That said, not something you want to count on, and probably want to do everything you can not to test that theory out.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    The average criminal who would seek to take a gun from someone and shoot them with it, is probably not well versed in 1911's, like the average car thief these days is probably not versed in driving a manual shift.

That said, not something you want to count on, and probably want to do everything you can not to test that theory out.
    Yeah no intention of testing that theory. I just thought with something that has been around that long, most people would be well versed in its function?

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I’d say it’s more of a muscle memory issue than a familiarity issue. Knowing a firearm has a manual safety and having the ability to disengage it in a high stress situation are two different things. If an individual hasn’t trained with a 1911, the safety can definitely be a hindrance.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    CandidTeemingArcticduck-size_restricted.gif

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I like 1911 pistols, but not a fan of the new Emmisary slide...it just doesn't look right to me...
    Like the idea of a flat-faced trigger on it though....getting used to those with a few Glocks I have...
    I do like Springfield's EMP series with the bob-tail...they have a great fit-n-feel to them!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I like 1911 pistols, but not a fan of the new Emmisary slide...it just doesn't look right to me...
    Like the idea of a flat-faced trigger on it though....getting used to those with a few Glocks I have...
    I do like Springfield's EMP series with the bob-tail...they have a great fit-n-feel to them!
    Right there with you, I sure it will appeal to someone though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My niece from Texas came to vist with her future husband. I got out all my handguns from 22lr to 44 magnum. She shot the 22lr and she really liked the canik TP9DA. She shot it well also.

Her boyfriend he liked the 44 magnum revolver, but fell in love with my Springfield Ronin 45acp. He said when he turns 21 next year he's going to buy him one for his birthday. Out of 9 different handguns, and over $300 in ammo and he choose the 1911 as his favorite. He has never shot before as well.

1911 is still appealing to even the younger generation.

Top Bottom