• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    That "Well crap" moment. Glad I aimed high just in case :ugh:. Guess I've been shooting the big boys too much lately. Sorry about the crappy pic, lens fogged up. That is a thru and thru shot.
    90sfmd.jpg

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Boy O Boy the stuff I shot up in the backyard at my parents house. Not to mention all the critters that got a pellet to the head.

My uncle once got a black bird in flight. Definitely a high point in a marksmans life.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I have problems with birds nesting in the barn. Thought I'd get a new pellet gun to remedy the problem. Now I have two problems. Still have birds and now I have holes in the roof. :xmad:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Todays high powered pellet guns are not the Red Ryder of your childhood. I got a Walther magnum springer and scoffed at the fact that it had a recoil pad and 4x scope...until I shot it. You could put your eye out with that!

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I have Titan Benjamin NP in .22 caliber.....It comes with a scope but not a very good one....I added an aftermarket 4x32 and once I got it sighted in, its a tack driver. Good for plinking and varmits.... benjamin.jpg

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    We used to shoot grasshoppers with pellet guns. I got real good with mine after doing that for a summer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Shot a bumble bee with a BB gun once. No pics.:D

I get out the airsoft pistols when the carpenter bees get annoying. They hover at eye level as if they are reading to come in and strike. Pour enough BB's at them and eventually you get a hit.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    That "Well crap" moment. Glad I aimed high just in case :ugh:. Guess I've been shooting the big boys too much lately. Sorry about the crappy pic, lens fogged up. That is a thru and thru shot.
    90sfmd.jpg

Hickok45 would be proud. He shoots up galvanized stuff all the time.

John

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The solution to holes through the underside of conventional sheet metal roofs is to stick to air rifles (if .177 caliber) that don't exceed about 500fps.
    This is why inside the barn, pump guns (the Crosman 2100 is a very good one) and pumping only five to six times instead of a full ten pumps are the way to go.
    If outside and with a backstop that can withstand it (circular shaped much thicker steel corn cribs, cement silos, etc.), you can step up to even the likes of a the more powerful pre-charged pneumatics that go up beyond 1000fps.
    As a side note, it's a mistake to go for the most powerful air rifles possible that go beyond the 950fps-1000fps level because airgun pellets destabilize when the shock wave catches up with them soon after they go out of the barrel, which in turn throws off your accuracy quite badly.
    You should no no faster than 900 fps for that reason.
    Also, you can use a pre-charged pneumatic even indoors with a sheet metal barn roof if it has a regulator that allows you to limit the velocity down to the 500fps level, which many (Benjamin Marauder) can indeed do.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have killed a ground hog at 20 yds with my Walther...the shock wave must have still been catching up...

When I was still in junior high, I shot two with my Crosman 2100 (pumped 10 times for 790fps and loaded with Daisy pellets), the first from not even a yard away, and the second from about 20 yards, too.
    Just saying that it's true about the need to keep pellets below supersonic, unless you limit your shots to very short enough range (20 yards, but it varies) at which the pellet is still outrunning its wake.
    Conventional airgun pellets don't stabilize in quite the same way that firearm projectiles do, with the flared skirt on the former acting as a major component of that working with the rifling spin.
    That flared skirt makes it easier to keep the pellet on course with the relatively (compared to firearm projectiles) slow spin from the rifling, but it also slows down the airgun pellet much more rapidly than the much more streamlined firearm projectile.
    The flared skirt also makes the effect of what's called transonic shock more pronounced than it is with firearm projectiles.
    Firearm projectiles rely purely upon spin stabilization, and their rate of deceleration in general is nowhere near as rapid as it is with airgun pellets.
    You may already know all this, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to explain it a bit better for those who don't really understand the nature of airgun exterior ballistics.
    It could get really eye-glazing having to explain the subject of spring-piston airguns and the need to hold them lightly to allow them to recoil freely for consistent accuracy. ;)

Top Bottom