• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm wanting to load up some 147 grain Berry's round nose bullets with accurate #7. My Lee manual (and other sources) show a load range from 5.7 to 6.6 with a minimum oal of 1.160". I loaded up a few rounds from 5.8 to 6.5 to test out. All passed the plunk test in my m&p shield but they seem to stick in my cmmg PCC and don't drop out freely. Can i safely reduce the oal on rounds that are on the softer side of the range or should I consider going to a powder that has a lower minimum oal?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Are you sure it’s hitting the lands? Or is the chamber just tighter and you don’t have enough crimp.

that’s one of my favorite range loads btw. Like shooting a 22

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm going to mark it with a sharpie and check. I thought lands because I crudely measured by pushing a bullet into the chamber and measuring from the bore to the tip of the bullet and it appeared to be the same measurement with an actual cartridge.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Are you sure it’s hitting the lands? Or is the chamber just tighter and you don’t have enough crimp.

that’s one of my favorite range loads btw. Like shooting a 22

What powder and OAL are you using? Hoping this will cycle through a PCC with suppressor and be relatively quiet.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    OK, I don't think it is hitting the lands. I coated a cartridge in sharpie and the only place I saw slight rubbing was on the case. I even loaded up a shell and bullet super short and it still stuck. It seems the base of the cartridge is 2 or 3 thou wider than a factory round and its just enough to make it stick in the rifle but not in the pistol.

Top Bottom