• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'll just say if that was a self-defender deciding to use lethal force in that scenario it likely wouldn't end well for them.

Irrelevant. This is a police encounter. The police can shoot a fleeing felon if there is probable cause that there is imminent danger to the officer or the public. That's a simplification, and there are obviously many variables that can come into play, but no such authority exists for a non-LEO to shoot a person who is fleeing. (That I am aware of)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Irrelevant. This is a police encounter. The police can shoot a fleeing felon if there is probable cause that there is imminent danger to the officer or the public. That's a simplification, and there are obviously many variables that can come into play, but no such authority exists for a non-LEO to shoot a person who is fleeing. (That I am aware of)

Thanks, Denney.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

That's why on left out any comment regarding the officer's action. Just making a point for the vast majority of the members here that aren't LEOs, but self-defenders.

I recall one of the scenarios from BBI's Defensive Concepts class that was similar. I believe it was a case of a guy breaking into cars. The good guy confronted him and the bad guy took off. Good guy's predator drive kicked in and he fired shots as BG ran away.

My only point is that those of us that aren't LEOs need to be aware of the potential for that predator drive to kick in. It likely wouldn't end well for the average Joe.

CHCRandy

Master
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Without knowing all the various laws, protocols etc and just looking at the poorish video I'm guessing it's not going to be considered a clean shoot. I am impressed that he scored a hit from that apparent distance on a moving target. The kid appears to be a considerable distance off, moving away from the cop, hands and arms in running posture, didn't turn to the cop at any time. Shooting appeared to be a way to stop a fleeing suspect. Maybe that's legal?:dunno:

I'm glad somebody else gets to make those decisions with ALL of the available evidence.

I thought the same thing about distance until I calculated it. From the time the cop stops, aims and shoots, the distance between him and his target was less than 60 feet. I figured this by figuring the distance between fence posts, plus the number of strides the officer took. You also have to keep in mind he was within 20 feet of the guy when the guy was exiting the truck....I think he may have seen the weapon then. At the end of the video that sure looks like a gun in the kids hand. I bet it was a lot more visible in real life. I don't know if it was good or bad...like you, I am glad I don't have to decide that.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Not gonna Monday morning quarterback the guys decision to fire, but to take cover behind the plastic trash can rather than his patrol unit?

Dude... What if this kid had a real firearm like you thought he had?

So you are able to think 100% clearly after an adrenaline dump and during a life or death encounter? Bravo, we could use you as an instructor.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I see issues with the use of force in this one from what I see on the video. Hopefully there is more to it that isn't shown on the video and the officer's actions were reasonable.

As far as using cover, good cover isn't always available. As an officer, at some point you have to advance and leave your position of safety to resolve a situation. Cover is better than concealment but concealment is better than nothing at all.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Jan 13, 2011

What was the felony in this instance?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    So you are able to think 100% clearly after an adrenaline dump and during a life or death encounter? Bravo, we could use you as an instructor.

I WAS an instructor. An Infantry Drill Sgt who went on to serve in 3 combat tours during his 28 years in the Army... (although the last one was as an 88M) I'm a fat old cripple now.

By the way, the taking cover was just after he exited the patrol unit. It was PRIOR to the engagement, so he should NOT have been rattled yet. And yeah, I noticed it in like 2 seconds flat, and I've lived through plenty of adrenaline dumps and "life or death" encounters. The last one made me the cripple I am today.

Not saying I'm perfect.

Think 100% clearly? No.

Think clear enough not to take cover behind a plastic trash can? Yes. Every time.

Just saying that could have cost him dearly had the kid really been armed. I'm hoping someone points it out to him so he can learn from it.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Without knowing all the various laws, protocols etc and just looking at the poorish video I'm guessing it's not going to be considered a clean shoot. I am impressed that he scored a hit from that apparent distance on a moving target. The kid appears to be a considerable distance off, moving away from the cop, hands and arms in running posture, didn't turn to the cop at any time. Shooting appeared to be a way to stop a fleeing suspect. Maybe that's legal?:dunno:

I'm glad somebody else gets to make those decisions with ALL of the available evidence.

It's quite hard to know what the distance actually was as it appears that the camera has a fisheye lens. I'm quite sure the actual distance is closer than it appeared. Shooting a fleeing person CAN be justified, under certain circumstances.

UTL

Marksman
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    I'll just say if that was a self-defender deciding to use lethal force in that scenario it likely wouldn't end well for them.

The last one I remember in Marion county, the guy saw someone stealing stuff out of his truck. Shot and killed the suspect. No charges filed, this was probably 10 years ago.

UTL

Marksman
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana

I believe Tennessee v. Garner covers this.

Just watched the video, sucks. I would need more information

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I believe Tennessee v. Garner covers this.

Just watched the video, sucks. I would need more information
    Tenn v. Garner sets the standard under which such a use of force is/isn't constitutional under the 4th amendment. It does not automatically make such a use of force legal under state or federal statute, it just means it isn't a fourth amendment violation. That said, many state statutes largely mirror the standard from Tennessee v. Garner.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Think clear enough not to take cover behind a plastic trash can? Yes. Every time.

Just saying that could have cost him dearly had the kid really been armed. I'm hoping someone points it out to him so he can learn from it.

I haven't seen anything that would indicate the officer had reason to believe the person in the vehicle was armed. LE work is risky all the time. You can't get out of your vehicle, hide behind cover (cars suck for cover anyway) and start giving commands on every situation, especially if you hope to apprehend anyone (there are terms for those who do this). I didn't see any fault in the officer's tactics approaching the vehicle.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I haven't seen anything that would indicate the officer had reason to believe the person in the vehicle was armed. LE work is risky all the time. You can't get out of your vehicle, hide behind cover (cars suck for cover anyway) and start giving commands on every situation, especially if you hope to apprehend anyone (there are terms for those who do this). I didn't see any fault in the officer's tactics approaching the vehicle.

Yup, sometimes we are just trying to use concealment to be sneaky.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I haven't seen anything that would indicate the officer had reason to believe the person in the vehicle was armed.

Then why did he draw his weapon...
    and take up a position behind what he thought was cover?
    (that was actually concealment)

Did you see the same video I did?
    The officer draws his weapon right after he moves behind the trash can.
    (or at least that's when he brings it up into view of the body cam)
    His suspect is still in the cab of the truck.
    Clearly he thought something was amiss.

(cars suck for cover anyway)

But plastic trashcans are bullet proof? There are certain parts of a vehicle that offer better protection than the sheet metal body. LEOs learn this. (or are suppose to)

I didn't see any fault in the officer's tactics approaching the vehicle.
    Sorry, but I did.
    Luckily for him the kid wasn't truly an armed, harden criminal.

QgYbrEl.jpg

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Jan 13, 2011

But plastic trashcans are bullet proof? There are certain parts of a vehicle that offer better protection than the sheet metal body. LEOs learn this. (or are suppose to)

Sorry, but I did.

QgYbrEl.jpg

Do you think most officers apprehend people with holstered guns and "authoritative" commands?
    ...not in today's society. Hell, some officers will upholster during vanilla traffic stops.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Sorry, but I did.

Well at least you know what was going through the officer's mind.

I drew my weapon thousands of times having no prior information to indicate someone was armed. It can save a bit of valuable time if it turns out the weapon is needed. I've also hidden behind a lot of things which weren't even close to being cover and (GASP!!) I knew it when I moved into position.

Police work isn't the same as combat. While I'd like for officers to be able to treat it as such we have a significant portion of the population who get their panties in a wad over the type of pants officers wear. The tears would flood the streets if officers actually treated every run like it could be their last.

I'm well aware of how vehicles work (and don't) for cover. There are lot of people on both sides of the law, both dead and alive who can attest to the unpredictability of how vehicles stop bullets. Often times they're better than anything else in the immediate area but as I mentioned upthread, officers cannot hide behind their cars at every situation.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Then why did he draw his weapon
    Someone breaking into a car? I'd be unholstered as well. Criminals do unpredictable things when startled during the commission of a crime.
    Getting close to the suspect undetected before announcing yourself perhaps?

Yeah, he caught someone breaking into a vehicle...maybe trying to steal it? That's enough for many of us to unholster.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom