14.5" AR - pin & weld muzzle device or SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Despite his assertion, I can find no evidence of that being true. If you add a vertical foregrip to an *under* 26" OAL pistol, it becomes an AOW. This is not what that site says, but is the closest to what he claims.

If the pistol is *over* 26", it is still a pistol.

If you add a vertical foregrip to an *over* 26" OAL pistol, it becomes a "firearm"

I think that AR Performance site is a terrible source, personally. I've reviewed actual firearms news sites on the newest ATF letters and I usually (and have) read the actual letter itself. One of our resident lawyers might chime in, but I have sources with sources backing my understanding.

And none of this is personally directed at you. Hopefully this opens up options for you if building an AR pistol is in your interests.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.p...h-when-equipped-with-a-stabilizing-brace/amp/

https://johnpierceesq.com/understan...ruling-regarding-overall-length-measurements/

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure a pistol over 26" is no longer a pistol. It might be a handgun, but not a pistol.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-2/download

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I believe the ATF new ruling states . That any firearm over 26" from muzzle to rear of buffer tube with a barrel shorter than 16 " is now a AOW

No. AOWs are concealable. Which means they must be < 26" OAL AND have the VFG.

An OAL >26" means not concealable, and not an AOW. It is likely a "firearm."

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Pretty sure a pistol over 26" is no longer a pistol. It might be a handgun, but not a pistol.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-2/download

EDIT: didn't see YOUR edit lol. Give me a bit to look through that.

Okay, read and searched the attached document with all definitions. The word "handgun" is not within it.

My original post-
    Just went through the ATF definitions from GCA. Pistol is the category. A revolver is a pistol with further qualifiers. "Handgun" is not a definition. A "firearm" is another category which requires changes from the base pistol (such as an over 26" pistol with a VFG, which becomes a "firearm" as discussed above)

I am always open to being corrected by fact-checked sources, I just spend a lot of time on this stuff because I have a lot of various types of ARs, which are one of the easiest to experiment with all of these definitions.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Mine says it is coming today.
    i will have to see if I have someone local that can put an extended flashhider or something on it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Mine says it is coming today.
    i will have to see if I have someone local that can put an extended flashhider or something on it.
    Got mine today. Heavy, but built like a tank. The quad rail is free floated and very solid. I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing so far.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Got mine today. Heavy, but built like a tank. The quad rail is free floated and very solid. I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing so far.

I might have to pop mine on a pistol lower and run a couple of rounds through it this week. I’m not good at waiting for stuff.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I might have to pop mine on a pistol lower and run a couple of rounds through it this week. I’m not good at waiting for stuff.
    That's what I'm doing with mine before I send it off to Allen for the pin & weld job.

Here's a quick glimpse of mine:

attachment.php

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I checked barrel length with and without the muzzle device to make sure I'll be in compliance. The barrel on the Sig 516 upper measured 14.625" and with the Sig mount & flash hider it came out to 16.125". I'm happy with that. I think the amount a muzzle device adds to the overall length can vary a little depending on the amount of threads on the barrel and I don't know if there's a standard for thread length on AR-15 barrels. Just thought I mention that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Happily, the FedEx guy caught me at home this morning. So I received mine today.
    T-DOGG, do you have a link to the one you ordered?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Happily, the FedEx guy caught me at home this morning. So I received mine today.
    T-DOGG, do you have a link to the one you ordered?
    If you're talking about the flash suppressor he used, it's the mount for his Sig suppressor.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a Sig SRD7.62QD in limbo right now. Any week now...Literally.

It and the Sig SRD556 are gonna be flip flopped around between a 16" rifle and a 12.5" pistol. I think I've decided that I'm not going to SBR the 12.5" because I just don't want the hassle of trying to remember when/where I can/can't take the thing.

I'm also now, when it's way way way way too late, second-guessing my decision to go QD. But oh well.

Top Bottom