• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Need some feedback. I have had poor “Luck” with 1911 10 MMS feeding. Two well known brands. Both extremely reputable and certainly not inexpensive. My question is does anyone use 45 ACP mags for 10 MM?
    They seem to cycle ( At home-have not tried at a range)
    Will it hurt anything?
    Please let me know your thoughts.
    thanks in advance

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    First I had a Glock...not my cup of tea. I sold it and got a Dan Wesson Bruin. Cartridges jammed against the slide stop as well as the top of the chamber on a frequent basis. I sent to Dan Wesson. The third time they offered me a refund. I accepted but have yet to see a check. I bought a 5” TRP. Jamming against the top of the chamber. Setting the bullet back in the cartridge. Using only factory ammo. S & B, Underwood and Federal. I have been shooting 1911s since the 80’s. My 45’s and 9mms are wonderful.
    thanks again

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Both the guns you listed should not have an issue, If it was just one or the other then it would be easier to troubleshoot.
    For what its worth Grip the snot out of it, you are dealing with a stronger recoil spring then the 45 even.
    I believe you when you say you have been shooting 1911's since the 80's and are familiar with them but it is odd you are having issues with 2 different guns.
    :twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve used both 10mm and 45 Wilson Combat mags in my Colts and have never had a problem. I now try to keep them separate just in case. Only issue I’ve ever had was with some reloads but factory ammo has always worked well for me.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have WC,CM, Springfield and Mec Gar mags. Same result. Definitely not limpwristing. Issue is even chambering the siesta round...... Siingshot or slide stop. Most likely will send back to SA.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I have DW Silverback, DW Bruin, Ruger SR1911 all in 10mm. SR1911 got a flat bottom pin stop & a little stronger main & recoil springs. All my 1911s of all caliber get Wilson buffers.

I believe factory mags looked a lot like Metalforms. Also bought Metalform, Wilson, Tripp (10mm mags). Can not remember any issues. Shoot most all handloads with Zero hollowpoints.

Only issues I ever had was that glock 10mm can be loaded a little longer and would not feed in 1911. Purely my induced malfunction.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All of my 10mm are either modified TRP or custom ground up pieces so all the tuning issue's were dealt with very early on. So I have no real advice to give in this one.
    Your thoughts on sending it back......My modified TRP started life as a flagship model TRP in 45 ACP. It shot low left out of the box. More so than the adjustable sights would compensate. I let a few qualified people run it with the same results.
    I sent it back. I was treated most poorly and they never fixed the issue. 2 trips back and I ended up throwing in the towel and having AllenM do a 10mm conversion on it. Sometimes its just not worth fighting over and trust me I fought with them to the point I will never ever buy another new Springfield product. Never.

Do as you must. This is just the path I choose and brother that gun is a beast.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Both of my 10mm 1911s (RIA and CDE) are magazine picky. .45 magazines sometimes work well, sometimes not so much. Most depends on brand. 10mm magazines are pretty reliable. OAL and bullet profile really seems to be the primary factors for the .45 mags that aren't reliable.

Last edited:

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Had No Problems with Colt Mags in y Delta, so no need to try others. You might look at the Loads. Perhaps your 10's would like another Recipe. Justa thought

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks to all. I am frustrated not having a reliable 10MM. I am a former Hoosier, live in Colorado now. I wanted it for fly fishing in the high country. I really do not think it is the magazines, I believe it is the guns. CM, I will take your advice as I don’t really want to deal with SA. If I was closer I would reach out to Allen M. I have options locally that I am confident can get it running. If not, I’ll move on and buy a second Sig 220.
    Thanks again to all.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Man you know better.
    stop it.

Bingo and yes I have used the 45 mags until I built up the dedicated 10mm offerings.
    I find this surprising, to say the least. I would never even have thought it was possible, and a look at the SAAMI cartridge specs shows some case dimensions significantly smaller for the 10mm - like the base diameter being 1.3mm smaller than 45 and the rim diameter 1.4mm smaller, but with the case length 2.8mm longer for 10mm and the OAL being closer but the 45 still 0.4mm longer

You guys certainly know way more then me, but just looking at the dimensions with reliable feeding in mind, it sort of seems the 10s would be free to move around too much in the 45 mags and stripping the round from the mag as the slide comes forward towards battery might be prone to misalignment

Of course, now I want to go try it for myself just out of curiosity

Top Bottom