• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Several years before I arrived at INGO, I spent lots of time on Rimfire Central. There was a small group of guys there who specialized in the 10/22 magnum. Called themselves The Maggits. One of them claimed to have done some research and consulting for Ruger when they were screwing up the WMR and HMR versions of the gun. Every one of those guys would tell you that all the dual extractor model WMRs needed removal of the "2nd extractor". It could come adrift and, being captured in the receiver, would usually damage the bolt beyond repair. Other than that, there was no one-size-fits-all fix. Every one had to be "tuned" uniquely. Tuning amounted to trying different recoil and hammer springs until you found the right combination for your gun. Having once found that combination, the issue with the HMR conversions, which was blamed on ammo, was actually user related. You MUST clean the chamber frequently. Ignition residue will build up to the point where it would prevent a cartridge from chambering fully but the round could still be fired. This is commonly referred to as a KABOOM or out-of-battery ignition. Bottle neck cartridges plus chamber fouling equals bad news. Same was true of HM2 conversions. I have both that run and shoot very well but a .17 caliber Boresnake accompanies them wherever they go. BTW, while I was fiddling with the HM2 conversions, it was discovered that barrel length impacted the dreaded smaller-bore "pressure spike" which changed bolt opening timing. The HM2 converted Charger has a 12" barrel and was pretty easy to tame. It thinks it's a rifle and wears a 3-9 riflescope. It's a hoot!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Several years before I arrived at INGO, I spent lots of time on Rimfire Central. There was a small group of guys there who specialized in the 10/22 magnum. Called themselves The Maggits. One of them claimed to have done some research and consulting for Ruger when they were screwing up the WMR and HMR versions of the gun. Every one of those guys would tell you that all the dual extractor model WMRs needed removal of the "2nd extractor". It could come adrift and, being captured in the receiver, would usually damage the bolt beyond repair. Other than that, there was no one-size-fits-all fix. Every one had to be "tuned" uniquely. Tuning amounted to trying different recoil and hammer springs until you found the right combination for your gun. Having once found that combination, the issue with the HMR conversions, which was blamed on ammo, was actually user related. You MUST clean the chamber frequently. Ignition residue will build up to the point where it would prevent a cartridge from chambering fully but the round could still be fired. This is commonly referred to as a KABOOM or out-of-battery ignition. Bottle neck cartridges plus chamber fouling equals bad news. Same was true of HM2 conversions. I have both that run and shoot very well but a .17 caliber Boresnake accompanies them wherever they go. BTW, while I was fiddling with the HM2 conversions, it was discovered that barrel length impacted the dreaded smaller-bore "pressure spike" which changed bolt opening timing. The HM2 converted Charger has a 12" barrel and was pretty easy to tame. It thinks it's a rifle and wears a 3-9 riflescope. It's a hoot!

I had read about the 10/22 Magnum issues. My Magnum Research version has a gas bleed-off valve or chamber under the barrel, hidden by the stock. I've only had a couple of stovepipe misfeeds in around 300 rounds, so maybe it actually works. I'll have to check the extractor(s). Not sure what it has.

As to the HM2 round, it's one of my favorites. I have bolt actions by CZ, Anschutz, and Remington, and they all shoot great. Picked up a semi-auto Marlin 717 a few months back, but haven't shot it yet. I'm going to do my research on that one to avoid, hopefully, any Kabooms.!

Top Bottom