• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Again, the old fingergroove stock makes the 1022 look and feel good.

Aint handled one? Sorry about your luck.

If ya dont know ya dont know.

As for a standard carbine 1022......cant stand em. Same for other supposed classic .22 rf rifles.....Stevens or Mossberg.

Dont care about nostalgia.

The feel of the old Ruger sporter does change the gun IMHO. Unfortunately nobody makes a repro stock anymore, outside of custom $$$.

Why i got rid of a NIB 90s era one picked up for build. Came to my senses.

Building is cool, make it the way you want. SAP outfitters sells receivers, so dont need to buy a full rifle and then throw half away..

Now if I find an AMT lightning I might get suckered back in. Their receivers werent aluminum.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Idk about a loss, this sound like a tradition in the making... new 10/22 for my anniversary every year... I'll let my wife know..
    On your 50th anniversary this is the one you need to get.

1666604422119.png
    1666604439030.png
    1666604483269.png

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My son and I shot an appleseed years ago, a guy shows up with 3 kitted out 10/22's.....groups looked like a shotgun....guess he didn't sight in before coming up there.....I shot a 198 with a stock 10/22 with an old scope....(it was the gun, not me)
    What does "kitted out" mean. There are mods you can easily do that will improve the function and accuracy. Wonder if they had scopes mounted and "bore sighted" at a shop. Best advice used to be join rimfirecentral.com

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    My oldest gun. Paid $129 for it in 1981. Put a scope on it that was more expensive then it was. It still shoots great with the very same scope.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've only owned a 10/22 briefly (a loss leader at Dick's Black Friday sale awhile back). I wasn't impressed, but I never did anything to jazz it up. Really only put a few mags through it before I moved it on. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake. I know they're immensely popular for a reason, but I just didn't see it.
    I have owned well over a dozen with 2 still in the house. None remained stock and all left here as much more accurate than they arrived. Wife's is a full Kidd built sporter and mine has a Kidd bbl and rcvr. Both are hard on squirrels.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    A Carbon fiber barrel and stock would bring the weight down considerably. I wonder how much that would run?

This is the Magnum Research version of the 10-22, in 22 magnum. Between the rubberized Hogue stock and carbon-wrapped barrel, it is indeed very light. I've put down several varmints with it out to 184 yards. It's a keeper.

I believe Magnum Research makes it in 22LR also.

MR.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Little late to the party, but mine. As a stock gun I hated it.....horrible trigger, no accuracy.....Boyd's stock, BX trigger, barrel (turned, chambered, milled) by me,1807 sling and a left over optic View attachment 232940
    So, to recap. Nobody likes the 10/22 until it's no longer a 10/22... :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They must have gone up, like everything else I guess. I didn't pay nearly that much back in 2010.

Although I love 10/22s, AND WMR. I dont think I'll ever own a semi WMR. There is a reason it took 50 years to get at least a semi reliable auto. The round just isnt best for it. EVERYBODY says "yeah, its a semi, but you can only use X ammo in it." Before the PMR-30, every single semi auto that came out was crap and eventually withdrawn from the market. And even today's guns are finicky.

No thanks. I'll stick to a bolt gun.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I've had good luck with the Magnum Research and a CZ 512. Other semi models, like you say, have a checkered history with the WMR. It's one of my favorite rounds, with more real world punch then it's ballistic stats would indicate. Of course, you probably already knew that, if you're a fan.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've had good luck with the Magnum Research and a CZ 512. Other semi models, like you say, have a checkered history with the WMR. It's one of my favorite rounds, with more real world punch then it's ballistic stats would indicate. Of course, you probably already knew that, if you're a fan.

Oh yeah. Back in the late 80s I remember buying a 2" thick gun bible of sorts that was a listing of all the guns made at the time. There was a semi auto pistol, possibly made by AMT as a version of the Automag. As I recall it was the ONLY semi auto WMR I had ever seen. Always wanted one since I had a massive hard-on for my Savage 93 that was a tack driver. Lucky for me I didnt have the cash as a teen, because it was stupid unreliable as I learned after the fact.

Speaking of ballistics, suprisingly, at least out of a rifle, it has almost the same punch as a .380. I remember taking a racoon at 30 yards one time at a quartering shot that entered just behind the shoulder blade and exited just forward of the opposite hip. DRT. I went over to recover the body and half of its intestines were hanging out of the exit wound.

And yeah, I know the 17HMR is technically a better round and preferred today, but there is just something about that WMR.

Top Bottom