• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Absolutely inexcusable though.
    No matter the circumstances, somebody screwed up BIG TIME.
    I don't know if the child got possession of the gun, or if it was an adult playing around, or maybe a drug deal gone bad.
    Completely inexcusable.

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    Not sure either. I grew up real close to there on Elston Rd before the state bought our house for the new 231. Lafayette used to be a pretty decent town back then but not so much anymore. Probably like many other towns I recon.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    You wouldn't give the car keys to a 5 yr old.
    You wouldn't let them near the lawn mower.
    Yet you don't secure a firearm and this s**t happens.

Security starts for free with the trigger lock that came with the gun (or .gov program, or $5 to buy yourself), or a $30 steel lockbox, or the safe of your dreams and all points in between. If you're not wearing it, don't be sharing it.

Some people's priorities are effed up, or they have a serious misunderstanding of responsibility. Shame.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When you leave things untaught mysterious and forbidden these are the types of things that happen.

Such a sad story. Parenting needs to become a priority again.
    This.

I taught my children at an early age not to touch firearms without permission.
    They also began their firearms training at 5yo. (Now my grandson since he is around me a lot more since my youngest son, and family moved back to southern Indiana)
    Before that they went hunting, and to the range with me.

Don't make firearms taboo. Children are naturally curious so fill that curiosity with knowledge, and firearms training.

Edit:

I will say this again here.
    We need firearms safety classes from kindergarten through 12th grade. One week course each year in our state. This woul help in preventing things like this as parents will be getting training as they grow up, and so will the children.

In 10 years I think we would have some of the safest children around when it comes to firearms if we would make it mandatory in our schools.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Teach your kids three rules or four, whatever you believe in starting with Nerf guns. When they understand them, take them to the range and let them try a real gun. And if you want to let them know what a gun can do, take them hunting. Show them a dead animal bleeding out and tell them it could be their sister, their mother, their father, their brother, or a friend. that’s how to get through to kids.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Sad, but I think I'll pass on giving government any more power than it already has. Teaching children how to responsibly handle weapons is far more useful. Yes, even at 5. My children knew to never touch guns without me present. Of course I also don't leave rounds in the chamber either. It's a tragedy and the parents will bear the weight of it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The talking heads on the news last night never once came right out and put the blame where it should be. Parents, P, A, R, E, N, T, S. parents. Growing up in high crime neighborhoods, almost any house I visited had a loaded firearm handy. Everyone knew, unless bad guys had broken into the house, you don't mess with it. Mess with the gun at the wrong time, you could count on a parent knocking your butt around the room. Parents did their job, we did not accidentally shoot each other.

The failed modern marriages of the past raised a bunch of weak minded, irresponsible people. They never even learned the meaning of being responsible. It is worse in the welfare communities where generations happen faster. They are now breeding and still being irresponsible. The poor children are literally caught in the crossfire.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Sad, but I think I'll pass on giving government any more power than it already has. Teaching children how to responsibly handle weapons is far more useful. Yes, even at 5. My children knew to never touch guns without me present. Of course I also don't leave rounds in the chamber either. It's a tragedy and the parents will bear the weight of it.
    So you would not want hunters safety course being provided by local schools as well?

When my children were in school here in Ripley County they had an option to attend hunters safety courses with parental approval.

I don't see why a gun safety course could not be instituted with the same people who do the hunters safety course, but only dealing with firearms safety.

Why would anyone be against children learning how to safely handle, and given reasons not to handle firearms without an adult supervising?

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    So you would not want hunters safety course being provided by local schools as well?

When my children were in school here in Ripley County they had an option to attend hunters safety courses with parental approval.

I don't see why a gun safety course could not be instituted with the same people who do the hunters safety course, but only dealing with firearms safety.

Why would anyone be against children learning how to safely handle, and given reasons not to handle firearms without an adult supervising?

I am in agreement with you. There were calls earlier in the thread to mandate storage requirements. Training is the answer. But even that requires that children respect their parents and each other, and also for the parents to spend time with their children.

Top Bottom