• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Several weeks ago I went shooting with a guy who has some pretty nice 1911's (couple tricked out Kimbers, and Wilson Combat).

I had my comparitively lowly Taurus PT111 with me. We shot at a few 7 yd targets, and he was putting all of his rounds through more or less the same ragged hole. On the other hand, I was hitting the target consistently, but was all over the place, mostly low and left of point of aim. This was kind of concerning, since the Taurus is my self defense gun, and if I was all over the place when taking carefully aimed shots, who knows what would happen if used in a defense situation.

I figured it was probably just the differences in the gun and ammo. My $300 Taurus with WWB 9mm, and his who knows what it costs Wilson Combat .45 with hand loads.

So we swapped guns, and I shot what I thought to be a very respectable softball sized group with his gun, all centered nicely around the point of aim, and he then did the same with mine. That pretty much proved that while the gun was important, the shooter was the most important factor.

My previous grip was the right hand on the grip, with left hand cupped underneath. He was using the two handed grip with the thumbs parallel to the slide. This is similar to the grip that was debated and discussed in another thread.

I tried that grip, and it felt awkward as can be, and the first several magazines that I fired with it were not much better than my old grip. But yesterday I got out and practiced some more, and began to shoot much better, consistently being able to bust stationary clay targets from 5 to 15 yds way.

What I realized is that with my old grip, I was actually pushing the barrel down and left, as well as jerking the trigger (which is why rounds were usually hitting at between 6 and 9 oclock relative to my point of aim). This surprised me a bit, since I though that with a heavy, long trigger pull like my taurus, I would actually pull the muzzle up and right.

Adding my left hand to the grip with thumbs parallel helps me keep the muzzle on target, and resists the pushing / jerking I was doing before. I feel a lot more confident in my shooting now with a two handed grip, but still need to work on technique a bit for single handed shots, or shots from my wifes revolver.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Several weeks ago I went shooting with a guy who has some pretty nice 1911's (couple tricked out Kimbers, and Wilson Combat).

I had my comparitively lowly Taurus PT111 with me. We shot at a few 7 yd targets, and he was putting all of his rounds through more or less the same ragged hole. On the other hand, I was hitting the target consistently, but was all over the place, mostly low and left of point of aim. This was kind of concerning, since the Taurus is my self defense gun, and if I was all over the place when taking carefully aimed shots, who knows what would happen if used in a defense situation.

I figured it was probably just the differences in the gun and ammo. My $300 Taurus with WWB 9mm, and his who knows what it costs Wilson Combat .45 with hand loads.

So we swapped guns, and I shot what I thought to be a very respectable softball sized group with his gun, all centered nicely around the point of aim, and he then did the same with mine. That pretty much proved that while the gun was important, the shooter was the most important factor.

My previous grip was the right hand on the grip, with left hand cupped underneath. He was using the two handed grip with the thumbs parallel to the slide. This is similar to the grip that was debated and discussed in another thread.

I tried that grip, and it felt awkward as can be, and the first several magazines that I fired with it were not much better than my old grip. But yesterday I got out and practiced some more, and began to shoot much better, consistently being able to bust stationary clay targets from 5 to 15 yds way.

What I realized is that with my old grip, I was actually pushing the barrel down and left, as well as jerking the trigger (which is why rounds were usually hitting at between 6 and 9 oclock relative to my point of aim). This surprised me a bit, since I though that with a heavy, long trigger pull like my taurus, I would actually pull the muzzle up and right.

Adding my left hand to the grip with thumbs parallel helps me keep the muzzle on target, and resists the pushing / jerking I was doing before. I feel a lot more confident in my shooting now with a two handed grip, but still need to work on technique a bit for single handed shots, or shots from my wifes revolver.

The above is music to my ears. I know exactly what you mean by feeling awkward ,but once you get it down it makes a huge difference. The gun is important but the shooter is more important. It is the Indian not the arrow that makes the most difference but good arrows are important. Glad to hear you grip is better and positively impacting your shooting.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That pretty much proved that while the gun was important, the shooter was the most important factor.

True, very true. In fact, the gun really has relatively little to do with accuracy or the ability to make hits.

Its all about the FUNDAMENTALS.

I would HIGHLY recommend Tactical Response's "Shooting Missology".

Good for you for understanding this and taking steps to correct it! :ingo:

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Amen! There are definitely more and less accurate guns, but there is far less difference between the worst and best gun than there is between a poor and a good shooter.

Thanks for posting this one.

For what it's worth, the RH chart that Woodsman put up is a good one to keep. I've pulled out a chart like this one at the range with a friend who was consistent, but off and he was pretty much shocked to see what was causing his misses. At first he wasn;t exactly sold, but focussed on what the chart said was wrong and it did the trick.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    One of the Pop's employees came out to the range for a while and showed me that grip. I adopted it and modified it a little to suit me even better. It drastically dropped my group size too.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    The biggest waste of time, The Chart developed for one handed bulleye shooting

I laugh every time i see someone at the range with it... 10 minutes later I have nailing there shots without that waste of tree bark

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    My grip.
    grip6.jpg

Picture taken by slow1911 using a friggin' huge lens.:D

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington

I laugh every time i see someone at the range with it... 10 minutes later I have nailing there shots without that waste of tree bark

In fairness, you are right about what the chart was intended to identify. In complete fairness, maybe I should have clarified that we were shooting one-handed bullseye targets at the time. Clearly throwing additional factors into the equation (two hands, rapid fire, etc.) will invalidate the chart to some degree, but like any other tool it works pretty well if you use it for its intended purpose. Good catch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

For what it's worth, Louis Awerbuck has his own (similar) version of the chart and even distributes copies in some of his classes.

I'm just sayin'.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Looks very similar to what I changed to. Only difference is that I have my left forefinger on the front of the trigger guard. My Taurus is quite a bit smaller than a full sized semi auto pistol.

I used to put my finger there as well... but i realized once i got even better with that grip that it was slipping and i was putting differing amounts of pressure with each shot... i have since changed to the one in the pic and squeeze pretty tight with my off hand.... its working for me.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I used to put my finger there as well... but i realized once i got even better with that grip that it was slipping and i was putting differing amounts of pressure with each shot... i have since changed to the one in the pic and squeeze pretty tight with my off hand.... its working for me.

Interesting info. I'm gonna shoot a bit this evening, so will try it with the left index finger down on my right hand.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A couple of the very best competition guys still leave the finger out on the front of the trigger guard, but most do not. It is easier to consistently apply the grip if it is tucked down under the trigger guard, and according to Rob Leatham the finger out there does not get you anything. But was does he know?:)

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Yes and with incredible respect to Louis, who is a great trainer and great person..

I have yet to see anything that cant be corrected by proper application of pressing the trigger straight back to the rear while tracking the front sight through the press

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Shot a bit more tonight. Still not sure which way I want to go with the left fore finger. It actually felt a bit more comfortable in front of the trigger guard, but I was shooting a bit better with it down. I think that more or less settles it, I'll work on getting comfortable with it down and wrapped.

I took a couple shots one handed, and actually shot quite well. I figured if I was pushing and jerking with my old 2 handed grip, that I'd be all over the place one handed. In the end I was just as accurate single handed as two handed.

Alas, still lots of room for improvement, and more practice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I took a couple shots one handed, and actually shot quite well. I figured if I was pushing and jerking with my old 2 handed grip, that I'd be all over the place one handed. In the end I was just as accurate single handed as two handed.

Been there done that. As one who has also struggled with getting a consistent rock solid grip, I can relate. It's a bit of a disturbing revelation when you can shoot as good or seemingly better one handed. That waves a huge flag showing your support hand is not doing what it should.

Quoting obijohn, "On target #4, your support hand came off for the mag change on the second shot, you shot it one handed." Coach said, "It was still good, it was an alpha."

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If you are right handed, shooting low left means you are squeezing your entire hand instead of just the trigger finger. Also beware the "pinky of death"! lol! Any squeeze of your pinky will make you shoot low.

The key is to use the same grip EVERY time you grip the pistol. I teach my students ONE two handed grip: Strong hand high on the backstrap, thumb folded to touch or nearly touch middle finger. Weak hand: blade your hand (like a karate chop!) and slide your hand up under the trigger guard until your pointer finger is touching the guard. Then wrap your hand around and place weak thumb on top of strong thumb. Where the bottom of your hands meet behind the gun there should be no space. If you look at competition photos MANY shooters use this grip. It may not be the only one, but it's the only one I use and teach for two hands.

I'll try to post some pics. This is what the NRA teaches and it works very well.

rmember, if you place your strong thumb over weak, your really only have a one handed grip! I see this a lot. Often on larger calibers the strong hand slips out of the weak hand upon firing! Placing the weak thumb over the strong eliminates this and makes for faster malfunction clearing, while providing a very stable grip. Give it a try! Again, once you find what you like... STICK WITH IT!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    LOL! I agree! It's all opinion, my own included. I often have my finger out front but I never teach it that way. I have been trying to break myself of that habit. It may not "get you anything" but it could certainly make you shoot low if you move it at all. Interesting thread!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Looks very similar to what I changed to. Only difference is that I have my left forefinger on the front of the trigger guard. My Taurus is quite a bit smaller than a full sized semi auto pistol.
    The only thing I don't like in this pic is your thumb position. What you have here is really just a one handed grip. Your weak thumb is offering no grip because strong is over it so your hands are not "CONNECTED" or "INTERLOCKED". This can allow your weak hand to pull down. Just a thought.

One last thing. If your groups are not consistant, (ie low left, high right etc.) and all over you may be forgetting the FOLLOW THROUGH. Continue to aim even after the shot! This not only sets you up for a second shot, it prevents any unecessary movement of the sight picture prior to the bullet leaving the muzzle.

I see this often with students because they want to look up and see where they hit! That's a natural reaction. But continue to aim for at least a second after the shot. Then remove your finger from the trigger and look. If you do this you will improve accuracy and be the MASTER of double taps! Good luck!

Top Bottom