Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    His form is right on the dot with the final grip. I think he is wrong to discount the 60/40 and 70/30 explanation of pressure with the grip. If you practice and train with that type of pressure you can form that habit and then do it eventually without thinking about it. One valuable thing that competition brings.

NSEW is interesting. The look and form of the grip is right, but his explanation sounds like too much grip with the strong hand. He talked about relaxing the grip to make the trigger finger easier to move, and then went right to talking about griping north and south with it????

Grip is going to make that second or third shot faster and accuracy is going to be better with a better grip.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    His form is right on the dot with the final grip. I think he is wrong to discount the 60/40 and 70/30 explanation of pressure with the grip. If you practice and train with that type of pressure you can form that habit and then do it eventually without thinking about it. One valuable thing that competition brings.

I agree that he is wrong about discounting the 60/40 and 70/30 grip pressure as it is still what will produce the best results as he even pointed out himself. If you practice it, it does become second nature and you wont think about it when the stress is applied.

Something that I think a lot of people don't think about when learning new techniques is that they learn/understand the technique and maybe practice it a little, but don't really get to the point of burning it into a reflex. They still need to think about it. As if just simply knowing the correct form will make you automatically use it. All the theory in the world means nothing if you haven't practiced it to be a reflex. Competition, and the preparation that it takes will make this happen.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You are exactly correct. Knowing what to do is a far cry from being able to do it, and many shooters fall into that trap.

I noticed James pointed out that this grip came from the competition world but he seemed to imply that it wasn't cool. Like the competition world managed to get something right for a change. I guess I should not whine he did acknowledge it.:)

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I noticed James pointed out that this grip came from the competition world but he seemed to imply that it wasn't cool. Like the competition world managed to get something right for a change. I guess I should not whine he did acknowledge it.:)

That's because his outfit has the word "Tactical" in the name. Practical shooting will get you killed, you should know that.:n00b:

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I think he got the idea from Andy Standfords Surgical Speed Shooting....
    It is explained better in the book which i recommend.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Trust me I know exactly where you are coming from. At least you don't have to work with the Tacticool Contractors in the CZ's.

I also have the same problem from the comp shooting world also. I think there is a happy medium somewhere in the middle. The trick is trying to figure out what is crap and what is not.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I also have the same problem from the comp shooting world also. I think there is a happy medium somewhere in the middle. The trick is trying to figure out what is crap and what is not.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean about the comp shooting world? I ask because the ones that are really serious about it do not give me that impression at all. Those who can actually walk the walk don't usually have the need to tell everyone.

ah, so no name change to notatacticalsccrmom anytime soon? :D
    notachance :)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It is just some of the things that are done. Not necessarily an attitude issue with the shooters. Some of the things that are done in the comps you should not do in a real world CZ. Worrying were your empty mag is comes to my mind right now.

My point is that skills can be acquired from both ends of the spectrum. If you screen it for what works in your situation.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    It is just some of the things that are done. Not necessarily an attitude issue with the shooters. Some of the things that are done in the comps you should not do in a real world CZ. Worrying were your empty mag is comes to my mind right now.

My point is that skills can be acquired from both ends of the spectrum. If you screen it for what works in your situation.

Ah ok, now I see what you mean and that can definitely be true. The key is to take practical shooting for what it is, a game, and not to confuse it with tactics training. However, it will without a doubt make you a better shooter. Tactics can be taught, shooting skill is something that comes from lots of practice. The empty mag thing is quite dumb indeed, and one of the reasons that I don't shoot IDPA.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    That's because his outfit has the word "Tactical" in the name. Practical shooting will get you killed, you should know that.:n00b:

One of these days I am going to do a serious rant about that phrase.:xmad:

Now that tactical has been worn out we have evolved to the "___________ will get you killed." or " If you are not __________ you are going to get killed."

I guess some of us are just lucky to be alive.:)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One of these days I am going to do a serious rant about that phrase.:xmad:

Now that tactical has been worn out we have evolved to the "___________ will get you killed." or " If you are not __________ you are going to get killed."

I guess some of us are just lucky to be alive.:)

LOL! Quite true. Oh how will we ever make it another day? :D

postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    James Yeager is Scum! This site gives you some info on james yeager and personally I don't like the guy. I also don't hold the gun like that aswell as from experince my thumb would interfere with my trigger finger cause my thumb extends past the trigger. I have long fingers/large hands I guess but I use the "thumb tuck" method and it works better because you don't have to re-grip your strong side hand to accomadate your other thumb.

That way your first grip on your gun will not need to be adjusted to "allow your other hand in..." as Yeager pointed out in the video.

Top Bottom