• ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Waste of money or worth it?

I have thousands in good ham radio equipment. Is there a place for this?

I picked up one of these.
    6601869633_ff43f0621a.jpg

A Boafeng UV-3 from Ebay, direct from Hong Kong. It took eight days to get here.
    This unit covers VHF and UHF. It comes open so it is possible to transmit out of the legal ham bands (be careful)
    The transmit power is 2 watts. Comes with a charger, ear phone mic, strap and manual. With the software you can cross band transmit. (ie receive on UHF transmit on VHF) It has a tiny LED light that would help to read a map only.

Observations:

Its tiny, about .5 inch taller than a tube of chapstick.
    Its cheap, the case would crack with a fall.
    The battery cover is **** and hard to get on correctly.
    The volume is loud, too loud.
    Programming by hand is no harder than any other HT.

I programmed a handful of VHF and UHF freqs and have run it for a few days.

I made contact using a local repeater to a friend 15 to 18 miles away mobile.
    I listened in on the local emergency response net, and all the major repeaters in the area.
    I listened to the security team talk at the hospital my wife works at.
    I have listened to two local life flight helicopters in route.
    Local EMS
    Local school bus traffic
    NOAA weather
    Local fire station near my house
    And two boys playing commando on GMRS.

So is there a place for it? Hell yes. If you can afford good radios buy them, but for $46 you have the ability to monitor emergency traffic. Most emergency traffic will be on VHF using local repeaters. Where does this radio fit in with me? I have no problems giving it to my girls to throw into the basket of there bike when they are at the park a half mile away. I will use it as a back up to my phone when in a tree stand. I chose yellow on purpose, cheap and easy to find for my kids or in the woods. They come in many colors.

If you have no radio now, this puts you in a better position.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I wouldn't trust it as my only radio, but if doing something where damage, destruction of the radio were a distinct possibility then I'd be much happier if that was lost than a $700 HT; I still think that the VX-170 at $90, while only being one band will get you almost if not equal use and be more solid for comparable prices to the import radios with poor manuals, menus and customer support.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I love my VX-170, built like a tank. Adding UHF pulls in a lot of hospitals, schools, fire, ems, etc. The FT-60 is about $160 now and that would be a comparable radio in function.

For the guy who is not going to commit to the hobby and the radio will sit on the bench, I thinks its better than not having one. Getting one may move more people to take up ham, in which case they will get better equipment.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am just now looking into a radio for the BOB and I am wondering if this is the one I need to go with?? I have zero Ham experience and will be totally lost when I do step up. Do I also need a batt. powered AM/FM to monitor local radio???
    Until I joined this group I thought I had a handle on the SHTF deal but I have been shown a better way. Any help in the radio area appreciated.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've looked into getting into ham, but cost has been the main issue. After seeing this, I will have to re-evaluate.

+1 Sailor

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I'm thinking Wouxon for a Cheap HT. I'm pretty sure they have a little more power to them 3-5 Watts. and there is already more accessories for them. you can already find used ones for under$100 I want one just to play on the Sats.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    "I have no problems giving it to my girls to throw into the basket of there bike when they are at the park a half mile away."

Apparently, you aren't worried that your daughters can get popped by the FCC for illegal use of ham radio equipment?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am just now looking into a radio for the BOB and I am wondering if this is the one I need to go with?? I have zero Ham experience and will be totally lost when I do step up. Do I also need a batt. powered AM/FM to monitor local radio???
    Until I joined this group I thought I had a handle on the SHTF deal but I have been shown a better way. Any help in the radio area appreciated.

It has FM not AM. Being not familiar with ham you would need help programming it. I could do it for you but that takes time to locate the freqs in your area and program it, I would have to charge for my time which defeats the purpose of this being cheap.

Its less than $50 get one and start reading up and studying.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I'm thinking Wouxon for a Cheap HT. I'm pretty sure they have a little more power to them 3-5 Watts. and there is already more accessories for them. you can already find used ones for under$100 I want one just to play on the Sats.

I have a Wouxan also, it sucks less than the Boafeng, built much better but still not like the big three. I had a knob come off, put it back on no problem. It has 5watts. Dual display.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    "I have no problems giving it to my girls to throw into the basket of there bike when they are at the park a half mile away."

Apparently, you aren't worried that your daughters can get popped by the FCC for illegal use of ham radio equipment?

They know they are to listen only and not transmit. They play radio with their FRS's. If there is an emergency they can call me and I will pay an FCC fine willingly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It has FM not AM. Being not familiar with ham you would need help programming it. I could do it for you but that takes time to locate the freqs in your area and program it, I would have to charge for my time which defeats the purpose of this being cheap.

Its less than $50 get one and start reading up and studying.

Thanks. I figured there would be something to the programming end of this.
    Looks like more research.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks. I figured there would be something to the programming end of this.
    Looks like more research.

You just have to grasp an understanding of how a repeater works. Traffic comes in on one freq, and out at the same time on another. There is a set offset to that either higher or lower +,-. Some repeaters have access codes you need to enter also.

If you get something pm me I can walk you through it.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Looks like this pig is gonna take up Ham!
    I always figured that "HAMMERS" had to have the huge 70' tower in your back yard! How much is a license? Not trying to thread Jack here ....

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    I might look into one of those! It would be a good extra to keep ready.
    A friend at work decided he is ready to get his ticket so I am helping him out. He bought one of the Wouxon dual banders with all the accessories for $120. I demo'd my FT-60 for him and he really liked it.
    Lets keep the ranks growing.

QSL?

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I was up early this morning (0400) working some 40 meter cw when I spied this thread and decided to chime in. These little guys aren't that hard to program if you use their software whereas using the dial can be time consuming. I bought one when they first came out about a year ago and have really enjoyed using it, especially when camping. The Yaesu VX-3R alkaline battery pack (below) I modified to fit the Baofeng makes it even more versatile. A lot of bang for the buck.
    400311088.jpg

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Sailor is yours the new Mark II? If so it looks like they made some nice improvements.

Top Bottom