Not open for further replies.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ok, I have been mulling this idea over and given the current concerns about the economy, etc., I thought it would be good to roll out here and for consideration:

INGO Area Mutual Support Groups

Purpose: To facilitate and promote skills, materials and communications between individuals in a local area with the intent of a mutual response to a short or long term crisis.

Organization: None beyond a phone list and a commitment to helping others and accepting other's help as needs be. No central leadership, no uniforms, no ranks, this is not a militia.

Meetings: Gather once a month for a dinner and planning/training session. Individuals take turns to lead a session in an area of their experience/expertise or simply in something they have researched (if no-one has other training). Organizing to go as a group to CPR classes or other professional training would even be better.

Activities: Camping trips, hikes, trips to the range, and so forth. Members who have can help those who do not. Better yet, trips to bulk food stores to stock up on supplies or other suppliers of emergency materials.

Intent: To make sure that people in the same area are as possible, and to continually increase that preparedness. Additionally, to have contact capabilities between area members so that when the power lines go down and INGO goes dead, we are not a bunch of individuals sitting alone in the dark. For those who would bug out, let's work together to make that a better possibility. For those who would have to bug in, let us make sure we can coordinate efforts to mutual support possible.

To be clear, this is not militia training in the sense of small and large unit military training. This is neighbors banding together to help make our community ready if a disaster were to happen. Furthermore, this should all be fun!

As a way to move forward with this, anyone in Monroe County or a surrounding county who is interested, PM me. I think the best way to do this is to find out who is interested and start with a picnic and a few trips to the range (I can only take one person at a time - yes this means you Nate).

Let me know!
    Techres

P.S. Yes, I went with MSG because I likes my msg... :):

12/31/08 UPDATE:

Since people have shown interest in MSG's it would make sense to have some structure to help things along. How about we break the map up into 4 areas (or more as the case needs)? Lets try this to begin with, unless someone has something better:

msgareas.jpg

I know that Silentwarrior has go the ball rolling up his way (Area 2). There is a core already started down here in Bloomington in Area 3 and we hope to do some get together's before long. Area 1 and 4, who knows?

If you are interested, post your username and area and what you can teach/do and lets start up some groupings!

01/07/09 UPDATE:

A brief listing of people interested by Area & County:

Area 1 (Coordinators ?):

Mr.Hoppes, Elkhart
    Bob Wyre, Allen
    turnandshoot4, Jasper
    TomN, Saint Joseph
    Jeremiah, Noble
    Sgt 1371, Laporte
    Cwood, Marshall
    Warwagon, Clark
    C.H.U.D., Elkhart Co
    cmax01, Elkhart
    GhostofWinter, Lake Station
    porkpie, Noble
    Gritch, Porter County
    mikea46996, Pulaski Co.
    CulpeperMM, Ft. Wayne
    Sailor, unknown

Area 2 (Coordinators ?):

jrb466, Marion
    Flintlock, Marion
    gage, Marion
    SilentWarrior1, Hendricks
    Disposable Heart, Hendricks
    SavageEagle, Hendricks
    AllenM, Hendricks
    IndyBeerman, Hendricks
    Electronrider, Tippecanoe
    USMC_0311, Madison
    zimzum, Madison
    Royal-1, Hamilton
    mconley, Morgan
    Jay, Grant
    longbow, (family in Noblesvile)
    infidel, Montgomery
    RTDoug, Madison, Delaware, Henry county
    El Cazador, Hendricks
    pierce195, Henry
    schwaky18, delaware/marion
    swatdoc, Franklin?
    ATF Consumer, Marion
    zimzum
    hotfarmboy1
    Beau

Area 3 (Coordinator - longbow):

techres, Monroe
    bwframe, Monroe
    NateIU10, Monroe
    SoundslikeJosh, Monroe
    Stevenlong8, Monroe
    tyler34, Monroe
    Panama, Monroe
    Dr Falken, Monroe
    stormryder, Ripley
    longbow, Brown
    mconley, Morgan
    csaws, Morgan
    KDUBCR250, Morgan
    mconley, Morgan
    smokingman, Johnson
    Chefcook, Unknown
    right winger, Sullivan
    4sarge, Sullivan
    Gump, Monroe
    Anne Oakley, Greene
    Bull, Jennings
    INRanger, Martin
    jblomenberg16, Jackson
    Lucas156

Area 4 (Coordinators ?):

INRanger, Martin
    gun_nut, Gibson Co.

UPDATE 07/10/09

Due to being overwhelmed with Appleseed and INGO Moderating, I have neglected the MSG activities. Thankfully, longbow has stepped forward to take over and start making things happen again. My thanks to him and I look forward to seeing more picnics, shoots, and training sessions. Thanks to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It is an interesting concept.
    Kinda like a shooting/social club?

Yeah, except one that gets together for CPR training, or a class on canning, or to do a campout without only bugout bags.

It would be a way to coordinate local food buys and gear buys, or shooting training.

But mostly, it would be a phone tree for helping each other out in rough times between people who are close enough to each other to actually help in times of trouble.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    We are in On this

We call our selves Homesteaders but we are really muulti discipline. We believe in loval sustainabilty and self sufieciency. We raise animals for food, we grow our own vegitables. We buy in bulf and store food.

We are currently getting together an Order for BULk 50# bags of whole wheat flour If you would like to order from us we can get them for $25 a bag. This is the good stuff BTW from Wheat Montana. We Have to place our order by October 1st so if anyone is interested Mail me or pm me for a Phone number and we'll talk. Last year we ordered 600#'s and has lasted without any spoliage the entire year, kept n a freezer at moderate temp.

Maybe a bug out drill at a local park that has camping. That way no one would feel that in case of real emergency they would go to who ever the sponsor was for shelter. Sorry tired... that didn't come out right..

Excited about it though.

We would welcome the group here for a diiner / Meeting, maybe a carry in, pot luck?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What we call a MAG, Mutual Assistance Group, takes time to build.

A good way to look at it, these are the people who will show up with their own chainsaws, gas, tools, gloves, ready to work to clear trees from your property after a storm/hurricane/tornado/ice storm. They will also be self contained in terms of food, camping gear and have extra.

Meet in social settings and go slow. Meet for a campout just to talk and maybe shoot. A good location is a camp ground in the Hoosier National. You can camp, shoot, hunt, fish etc...

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    Need a way to sub-divide this to areas. Maybe have a main thread of MSG/MAG then have the different cities under it. Would have to break it up for it to work, I would not count on someone from the southern part of the state to make their way up North to help me. Cities might be the best way to divide up. I'm in Noblesville, anyone up here could group up. Divide up Indy to N. Side, E. Side, West and South.

:yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In the old days, they called this idea "family and friends." Those two things don't mean as much anymore. This is a good idea.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Need a way to sub-divide this to areas. Maybe have a main thread of MSG/MAG then have the different cities under it. Would have to break it up for it to work, I would not count on someone from the southern part of the state to make their way up North to help me. Cities might be the best way to divide up. I'm in Noblesville, anyone up here could group up. Divide up Indy to N. Side, E. Side, West and South.

:yesway:
    My Primary MAG goes from Valpo to Martinsville and out to Illinois state line. Beyond that there are others who would come if I asked. Then I would say there are two personal friends, who hang here and live in my AO that would be a part of an implied or developing MAG. All but one of my primary MAG has met one of my local buds, whether he realizes it or not.

Then of course there is friends and family. I have long felt the extended family is dying. One reason is we as a society are more mobile. We move away. While my family is very small and very mobile, we are intensely close. But my Bro and I are 800 miles apart. We are part of a larger MAG that covers some distance.

I think you will find it is best to just start the concept in here and let groups quietly develop based on personalites and locations. I would have nothing to do with anyone until I knew them better and there is one individual who hangs in this forum that I WOULD NEVER let near me.

Gun shows, camp outs, days at the raqnge and dinners are a good way to start. I have to go to an INGO function but they are a way for like minded people to meet, but just being Pro gun does not make people like minded. It does help.

Bob Wyre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    I second the idea of finding a way to break it down to geographical areas. I'm in the Ft. Wayne area. Any other like minded members in this area?

Trechres, will you be at the Appleseed shoot at Wabash in October?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I second the idea of finding a way to break it down to geographical areas. I'm in the Ft. Wayne area. Any other like minded members in this area?

Trechres, will you be at the Appleseed shoot at Wabash in October?

As of right now I am not scheduled to be there. I will be at Ditchwater II though.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    A good start.............

I have a suggestion for an excellent way to start such a group. IDHS, Marion County Emergency Management Agency, and I assume other county emergency management agencies, provide training under a program called CERT, Community Emergency Response Team. There is no cost to participants and the 24 hours of training, as given by Marion County EMA, can be tailored to suit participants' schedules. CERT is based on the premise that people will help in a disaster/emergency so training them on some basic search and rescue, first aid, fire fighting, hazard recognition, etc. is a very good thing. There is no firearms training involved in this but, when I was helping with the CERT training, there were a few people packin' in some of the classes. Once a team has completed the training, they are encouraged to continue meeting and training on their own. If you're interested in doing this, contact your county emergency management agency. For Marion County, PM me and I'll be glad to put you in contact with the local CERT training coordinator.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So, I have a question.

Are we going to have like a group coordinator? Not necessarily a leader, but someone who keeps track of who's capable of doing what and responsible for contacting people in times of need? How is all that going to work?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom