jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    WHAT:
    NapalmFTW will be hosting a Ham Radio demonstration for any NWI INGO member who is interested in getting a basic understanding of what "HAM radio" is all about. So you can see if this is something you would like to get into.

WHERE:
    Griffith, IN (Address will be PM'd to members attending)

WHEN:
    Saturday, 04 FEB 2012
    Time: 4:30PM CST

WHAT TO BRING:

• Open mind
    • Side dish if you like such as chips, dips, dessert, etc
    WHAT IS SUPPLIED:

• Jedi will be providing pizza and pop
    • NaplamFTW will bring 2 radios for the demonstartion
    I have to limit this to no more than 10 members due to space. So the first 10 to sign up can come.

ATTENDING
    1. Jedi
    2. NaplamFTW (HAM Operator)
    3. Bill B
    4. geronimojoe85
    5. Wild Deuce
    6. Wild Deuce's Guest
    7. lonehoosier (maybe)
    8. Piobair (HAM Operator)
    9. warangelcometh
    10. fireblade
    11. darthfather
    12. salemons

WAITING LIST
    [STRIKE]magic man [/STRIKE] has to work

----

GROUP BUY FOR BEGINNER RADIO <$60:
    I am working with several eBay sellers on a group buy for a basic HAM radio as well. The model is the BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II 136-174/400-470Mhz Dual Band Radio + USB program cable. Currently retail cost is ~$60 per unit. Should have more info by the time the class is held.

Group Buy info:
    Group Buy: BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II Dual Band "Ham" Radio - INGunOwners

Last edited:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    If any of you guys have a ham licence please show up :) Will be easier to demonstrate.

I'll have a handheld or two and the radios in my car.

I'll try and give a demonstration of simplex (handheld to handheld) and repeater operation as well.

Also the requirements for the technician class licence exam.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Excellent... looks like we're getting quite a crowd. Is now the time to tell you I hate speaking in front of people? Hah hah.

No on a serious note this could turn out really well. Get a few more hams potentially and in times of emergency when the cell phones go down we will be able to stay in contact.

Also useful when travelling to ranges or just out and about.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a way to do data transmissions from PC to PC over HAMs? i could have swore i saw something in the linux kernel related to this some years ago

Yes it is possible. It's called keyboard-to-keyboard and requires a PC with sound card and a radio.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Put me down as a maybe. If by chance I get Saturday off I'd love to come. Plus Jedi's place is within walking distance of my house.:D

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    damn, I have my ham lic and would love to come play, but alas I live downtown and thats just too much of a drive for me. hope you guys have fun.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a way to do data transmissions from PC to PC over HAMs? i could have swore i saw something in the linux kernel related to this some years ago

Or you could just use wifi and forget about the radio.

There are more than a dozen digital modes that can be used in the Amateur Radio bands.

Check out a few of these for more info: RTTY, X.25 PACKET, PSK31, AMTOR, CLOVER, HELLSCHREIBER, WinLINK, JT65, the list goes on.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell

Yeah, lots of data transmission from PC to PC.

RTTY, Packet, PSK31.

You can send files (v. slow) or type.

I don't have the equipment to demonstrate that right now unfortunately since its all in the UK. It's on my list of things to do though.

APRS is a good one - automatic packet reporting system(?). You have a radio in your car and a GPS and it transmits your position out to the internet and other hams can track you. IF you have a GPS that's got a display you can see where other hams are and even send messages to them.

There's a radio by Yaesu that has all that built in already, and Kenwood does one too.

Expensive if you want all the bells and whistles but to just get set up on APRS to transmit your position its very cheap (within $200).

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    ...APRS is a good one - automatic packet reporting system(?). You have a radio in your car and a GPS and it transmits your position out to the internet and other hams can track you. IF you have a GPS that's got a display you can see where other hams are and even send messages to them.
    Expensive if you want all the bells and whistles but to just get set up on APRS to transmit your position its very cheap (within $200).
    Kinda like the opposite of OPSEC?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom