• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    p380_ammo.jpg

I had wanted a Kahr P380 ever since the first rumors of its existence started swirling a few years ago. Once they were actually in production and I got to shoot one belonging to a fellow INGO member last year (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/48871-kahr_p380_review.html), I was completely sold. I finally was able to score one for a decent price on Gunbroker (of all places!). I picked it up on Wednesday 4/14, and took it to the range today.

Break-in and test-firing were done using 4 different types of ammunition, totaling 200 rounds:

• Remington UMC 88gr JHP
    • Independence 90gr FMJ
    • PMC Bronze 90gr FMJ
    • Russian LVE 92gr bi-metal FMJ (copper-washed steel case)

I was going to use a 5th ammunition type, Fiocchi Extrema 90gr XTP HP, but they would not feed at all. The XTP bullet is a long, sharply tapered design, and the round kept hanging up at the top of the chamber. Attempting to drop the slide via the "slingshot" method or the Kahr-recommended slide stop method made no difference. This ammo runs in my Colt Pony Pocketlite, but obviously the smaller Kahr has tighter feed geometry and doesn't like the longer bullets.

My impressions are pretty much unchanged from my earlier review. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my P380 didn't exhibit nearly as much tendency to shoot low as the one I'd fired previously. If I kept the (really low profile) sights lined up and controlled the trigger smoothly to the rear, the gun would shoot point of aim at 10 yards. I shot my best group of the afternoon with the Russian LVE ball ammo. It measures 2-5/8" center to center.
    p380_target.jpg

And here's the results of two magazines' worth of PMC ball:

I did not have any misfires, stoppages or malfunctions in 200 rounds. For part of the reliability testing, I fired 4 full magazines, each loaded with a different ammunition type, as quickly as I could get accurate hits, with no pauses in between mags. I also mixed rounds of all 4 ammunition types within single magazines, and fired them with the same boring reliability.

Despite being a 10-ounce pistol chambered in a somewhat-respectable caliber, the P380 is a very comfortable gun to shoot... all day comfortable, as a matter of fact! It's much like my Pony Pocketlite in this regard, and beats the pants off the Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP in the same size/weight class.
    shooter_p380_case.jpg

The only issue I encountered, other than the gun's inability to feed the XTP ammo, was that the floorplates on 2 of my 4 magazines were loose enough that I could remove them by hand without depressing the locking button on the bottom. :eek: This caused one magazine to spontaneously disassemble itself while I was loading it, but did not cause any issues in live fire. Should be an easy fix to crimp the sides of the floorplate so they grab the bottom of the mag body a bit tighter. Worst case, I'll send them back to Kahr with a "WTF?" note and get them replaced.

All in all, I am very pleased with the P380. It is comfortable, more than accurate enough for its intended purpose, and thus far, perfectly reliable. I am on the fence whether or not to get night sights for this gun. It shoots so well as it is, I hate to mess with it. OTOH, I am more accustomed to a 3-dot sight picture, and am a big believer that carry guns should have night sights whenever possible. We shall see.

The Kahr will be taking over pocket carry duty as soon as I can get a decent holster for it. At that point, my Colt Pony Pocketlite will probably go up for sale. I might use the proceeds to buy a second P380...

P380_dirty.jpg

Rode hard, put away dirty...

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Nice range report, lately I've been strangely intrigued by the Kahrs. Always been a little put off how anti glock their adds are, but I am looking for a pocket pistol.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Always been a little put off how anti glock their adds are

Kahr perceives the baby Glocks (G26/27) to be the most direct competition for the K9/P9/MK9/PM9. Right or wrong, that's the assumption they've been operating under. Lately, though, their ads have been a little less pointed ("bite size, BIG BITE" and "Thin is Sexy").

but I am looking for a pocket pistol.

IMO, you won't find a better one than the P380 or its bigger cousin the PM9. IME, the latter is just a skosh too large and heavy to be considered a true pocket gun, but that will vary depending on one's build, mode of dress, pocket style and holster design.

My :twocents:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Oh! and I am surprised that you were not mugged at the range with a $1000.00 dollars worth of 380 ammo sitting there. I meen four box's all in one place is more than I have seen in a year!! :D

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    Great buy! I've had my Kahr P380 now for a few months and love the little sucker. Its dead reliable. I'd have to be naked to not be able to conceal it.

I have a PM9 now that is great too.

The triggers on my two Kahrs are so light and smooth they are easier to shoot than they should be for their size. I just need to get night sights for them.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Nice report/review shooter. BTW, what design attribute or combination thereof do you think contributes most to the P380's increased shooting comfort over other pocket 380s like the P3AT, LCP, etc?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    what design attribute or combination thereof do you think contributes most to the P380's increased shooting comfort over other pocket 380s like the P3AT, LCP, etc?

I think it's the weight. The P380 with an empty mag clocks in at about 12 ounces, compared to 8.3 for the Kel-Tec and 9.4 for the Ruger. It may not seem like much, but it's evidently enough to dampen the muzzle jump a little. Grip length/design and a generous triggerguard opening (it's the same size on the P380 as it is on the P9 and PM9) are probably contributing factors, as well; the gun doesn't feel like it wants to squirm out of your hand, and your trigger finger doesn't bang into the front or bottom of the triggerguard on recoil.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I couldn't (and didn't), either!

Bottom line, though - what are you willing to pay for quality and reliability, and what's your life worth? If the answer to either or both isn't "$500-600," there are other candidates out there. :spend:
    I'm not big on the what is your life worth argument. I see what you are saying, and thats fine But... lives, mine and others are priceless! And I will still never be able to afford a 600 buck pocket pistol. :dunno:Unfortunately, with the prices of guns and ammo now days, no matter what your life is worth to you, you may not be able to afford it. this Kahr is in that area for me, and i'm sure others. Awesome pistol just not practical, especially when you end up dropping a couple hundred more to get good protection ammo, and runs tests to see what works. Gets pricey! Just a little rant after going to wally word and dropping cash for ammo, and still no .45 or .380. :D . Cool gun though!!!

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Nice report/review shooter. BTW, what design attribute or combination thereof do you think contributes most to the P380's increased shooting comfort over other pocket 380s like the P3AT, LCP, etc?

I would expect this though for $250 -350 more in price. I just can't compare these three in my mind. It's more than double the price of a Kel-tec. It's like comparing a RIA 1911 with a Wilson or such. Not a champion for Kel-tec or anything, just think there is very little comparison.

Top Bottom