Walther PPS, Vedder holster & ammo review.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    After I got the front of my 4Runner replaced due to a deer, I picked up something I've been after for a while, a Walther PPS M2. I was wanting something thin and light to carry during the summer. Previously that role was filled by my Kahr P9 but I never really cared for the trigger. Sure it's butter smooth, but it just isn't like the other striker fired guns that I carry & shoot. It was time for a change.

I've tinkered around with the S&W Shield several times in the shops and a couple of times at the range when someone had one. It just didn't fit my hand very well and I didn't care for it. I've checked out the Glock 43 in shops so many times I lost count. I've never been thrilled enough by it to purchase one even though Glocks are a staple in the house. I've mentioned it before but I would like to see a Glock make something the same thickness as the 43 but overall sized like the 19. The 43 is just too small for my liking and the ergonomics don't feel right.

My parents, in their 70's, picked up a Walther CCP earlier this year. It was one of the only guns that my mother could work the slide on. We took it out and shot it, everyone loved it. It had no failures, was accurate and very comfortable. Disassemble & cleaning is a bit of a pain, but once it was done a couple of times it became easier. I started taking a closer look at the Walthers. Reviews and videos showed the PPQ to be a favorite. I tracked one down and understood why. The same dealer had a PPS M2 in stock as well. I checked it out and quickly decided to give it a try. About the time I made my decision nature decided to send a deer my way. The deductible took my PPS funding. Shortly after though I was able to pick up the PPS and so far I'm loving it. On to the review.

The ergonomics of the PPS are perfect for my hand. I can get a full firing grip with no pinky overhang with the 7 round mag. With the 6 rounder in place I can wrap my pinky comfortably under the grip. There are very slight finger grooves & palm swells, but unlike other guns that have them these hit me in all the right places and are very comfortable. The "tactical paisley" pattern on the grip is nice. It gives a good grip without being too sharp or too slick. There is a very slight gap between the bottom of the frame and the base plate on the mags. On similar guns (Glock 36) this spot would pinch me with every shot, this did not happen on the PPS M2. All the controls are easy to reach and operate. The slide stop is big enough to actually use without being cumbersome. If I had to pick out an ergonomic flaw it would be the small cut out on the inside of the trigger guard under the trigger. There is a small place where the bottom of the trigger would hit the inside of the trigger guard if it were not cut a little bit. This cut out is square and has sharp edges on the sides. When dry firing I noticed a pinch on the trigger finger. It felt like I had gotten poked with a needle until I figured out what it was. I will note that I never felt this when actually shooting. Walther could have broken the sharp edge and this would not occur at all.

There are several nice things about the gun that I noticed while tinkering around with it. Other manufacturers should take a look at this gun. The mag release is metal to go along with the metal mags, no metal to plastic parts. This gun comes apart just like any Glock, however the take down lever is angled. The bottom of the lever is slightly wider than the top so you can actually get some purchase on it while pulling it down. Would be a nice feature to have on the larger frame Glocks. The dots in the sights are very deep, more on this later. The trigger is wide and flat without having sharp edges. The rear of the striker can be seen on the back of the slide when ready to fire, it's recessed inside when it's not. This part of the striker will protrude slightly (Less than 1/4 inch) when the trigger is pulled. If you put your thumb on the back of the slide when re-holstering and the trigger gets caught on something you will feel it before you give yourself the 'Glock leg'. The cups that hold the striker spring in place are notched like the marine cups for the Glocks. The metal portion of the mags are all the same. If you want a different mag length/capacity then you change the base pad. Many of these things are very simple but makes it nicer for the user.

On to the shooting portion. On the first trip out myself and a friend put 200 rounds of WWB through it. It was all the ammo I had on me at the time. The gun functioned 100%, no failures of any kind. We tried to limp wrist it to see how it would act, nothing. We held the gun with the trigger finger on the trigger and the pad of the thumb as loose as we could on back of the grip, nothing else holding the gun at all. It fired 3 mags this way with no error. Accuracy was very good but I don't have any pictures of that range day. We were both very pleased with the gun.

Yesterday, the 5th, I took it back out and was better prepared this time. I couldn't get any pictures while at the range since I wasn't the only one there, but I did mark and recover my targets and have pictures of those. I wanted to see how the gun would act with some reloaded ammo and if it had a preference. My reloads for it were:

Tightgroup - 124 Xtreme plated HP

HP-38 - 124 Xtreme plated HP

I used the 7 round mag. Loaded 5 rounds and fired them one second apart. Reloaded 5 more then repeat for a total of 10 rounds per target. All shooting was done offhand at 10 yards.

There were several failures with the Titegroup 3.7 loading. Both times the gun failed to lock the slide back on the last round. Twice on the first mag and once on the second it failed to pick up the next round and closed on an empty chamber. The charge was just too light.

It was better with the TG 3.8. I only had one FTF, but not good enough.

These were the only failures, all other loading's were 100%. Accuracy was good with all of them. There wasn't really any loading's that stood out as good or bad. A couple of called flyers when a bee wouldn't leave me alone then decided to try and land on my eyeball.

In order across: Titegroup 3.7 / 3.8 / 3.9 / 4.0
    View attachment 50507 View attachment 50508 View attachment 50509 View attachment 50510

In order across: HP-38 4.2 / 4.3 / 4.4 / 4.5
    View attachment 50511 View attachment 50512 View attachment 50513 View attachment 50514

I also ran a couple self defense rounds through it to see how they grouped. Same 10 yards but only 5 rounds of each.

Top left = 124 HST
    Top right = 124 +P HST
    Lower left = 147 HST (one slightly off the paper)
    Lower right = 124 +P Ranger T
    View attachment 50515

On to the holster:

The Vedder IWB LightTuck
    Vedder Holsters LightTuck Kydex IWB Holster

I'm very pleased with this holster. I ordered it late Friday Sept 30th. It was shipped on Monday Oct 3rd and arrived Wednesday the 5th, but not in time to go to the range with me. I've heard they ship quick, they weren't kidding. I like the way you can adjust both the cant and the ride depth. I ordered it in the 'police blue' kydex. Fit & finish is excellent and the holster is very comfortable.

6dx2s3.jpg

2ahx7p.jpg

2wftj46.jpg

Earlier I made reference to the sights and how deep the dot cavities are. They are very deep and easy to pick up. I normally have night sights on all of the Glocks & M&P's. Green front & yellow rear. I liked how easy these sights are to pick up and didn't really want to change them. I picked up some Testors florescent yellow & green. I used the yellow on the rear and a mixture of both for the front. The results IMO are stunning. Very quick and easy to pick up. This picture doesn't due it justice. It was taken this afternoon with a slight overcast about 30 minutes before the sun went down.
    29y3ax.jpg

I mentioned the striker cups as well. They have notches like the Glock marine cups, a nice touch without having to change them out. The striker spring on these guns is a little strange. It's much longer than other guns so it bunches up. This causes it to rub inside the channel. I've read where others have taken this out and polished the spring and they say it helps take some of the drag out of the trigger. I like the way the gun shoots now so I'm not going to bother. In the 400 (give or take) rounds I've fired I have noticed the trigger smoothing out on it's own.
    2hebmfd.jpg

In summary. I really like this gun. It fits very well and as soon as I get more SD rounds through it (around 100 HST's right now and waiting on 147 Ranger T to come back in stock) it will become a full time carry gun. The Vedder holster is very comfortable. As soon as it arrived yesterday I got it adjusted the way I wanted and carried the gun around the house & farm. It went with me all day today on various short errands (along with a proven J frame) and was a pleasure to carry. As I do more shooting with this gun I'll update this thread, hopefully with better pictures. I only had my phone with me and all of these were taken this evening within 30 minutes of losing the sun. If I can I'll try and get some video at the range next time.

If anyone is around Richmond and wants to check this out as an alternative to the Shield or Glock 43 let me know. I'm always up for a range day.

Last edited:

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    As an owner of a first gen PPS, the gen 2 is on my list of guns to buy. I was happy to see them get rid of that silly grip safety that was on the first gen guns. Walther makes the most underrated handguns in my opinion. The PPS, PPQ and the P99 are outstanding pistols.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    Great review of an awesome gun, I just picked mine up Saturday. I love this thing and how well it carries. Ergos are awesome and the recoil is very manageable for the size. I own and PPQ m2, an HK VP9 and this thing is right up there with them IMO!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom