Calling all Jeep/4x4/Offroad Enthusiasts!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm looking for some volunteers! In September, the DNR puts on a huge event at Fort Harrison State Park. As part of this event, the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association. and my local Club (JPFrog Offroaders) runs a "Jeep/4x4 Ride" for attendees. We give folks a ride around a short "course" to introduce them to our hobby.

Since there are tons of folks out there who own a Jeep or other 4x4, but don't belong to a "club" or to the Association, we are opening up our volunteer ranks to anyone who would like to help out. This is a GREAT way to meet some other offroad enthusiasts, says "thanks" to the DNR for supporting us, and maybe even introduce a few new folks to the sport. While you are volunteering, you can also check out the many other activities at this event. Bring the whole family!

HOE-banner.jpg

2013 Ford Hoosier Outdoor Experience
    September 21 and 22

Fort Harrison State Park
    Indianapolis, IN
    Volunteer registration link (2013 Ford Hoosier Outdoor Experience)

Please Note: There are two registration forms – the 4x4 Rides volunteer registration form and the DNR activity provider registration form. After completing the link above you’ll be automatically redirected to the second form. Sorry for the double registration requirement – it’s a DNR requirement to fill out theirs but they don’t ask the right questions we need to plan the event!

4x4 Rides!
    Once again, the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association (IFWDA) and our partners at the Indiana DNR and the local host club JPFrog Offroaders, will be providing 4x4 Rides during the Hoosier Outdoor Experience. We are looking for volunteers, drivers, and vehicles to make this event a success!

What is this event?

The Hoosier Outdoor Experience is Indiana’s largest, hands-on outdoor recreation event. Featuring more than 50 activities and 120 grassroots partners, this free weekend provides opportunities to learn about the great Indiana outdoors. (DNR: The Ford Hoosier Outdoor Experience)

We will be giving guests a short ride around a dirt trail. The trail has a few “obstacles” in the form of bumps, rocks, and a few little hills. Not extreme 4-wheeling, but enough to give folks new to the sport a taste.

How can I help?

We have lots of opportunities! The biggest need is for vehicles and drivers. We expect to give HUNDREDS of rides throughout the weekend. To keep the lines short, we need to keep a steady stream of vehicles moving around the trail. Roughly a dozen vehicles should be going at any one time, and a few more “in reserve” will give other drivers a break. We will have two 5-hour shifts on each day, and you can sign up for one or more. See below for driver and vehicle requirements.

What if I don’t have a vehicle? Can I still help?

Of course! We also need volunteers to help with crowd control, loading and unloading (we’ll have a step stool for the taller trucks), trail maintenance, hospitality and volunteers to work our tent. The tent will have a sign-off form for the riders, and information about off-roading in Indiana.

What are the vehicle requirements?

Pretty standard stuff, with a few special requirements for this event. First, we prefer open-top vehicles (Jeeps, Suzukis, H1’s, etc...), especially if the weather is nice. Other unique and interesting vehicles would be great. ANY 4WD vehicle is welcome. Seating for 3 passengers is preferred, though 2-seaters will be put to use. Other requirements:

· Functional seat belts or harnesses for ALL passengers MUST be worn while moving.

· Roll-over protection (cage, bar, or steel roof) over all passengers

· No open headers

· Vehicles may be subject to a brief safety inspection by IFWDA and/or DNR. Any vehicle deemed unsafe will not be allowed on the trail.

How do I volunteer?

In an effort to keep this event coordinated, one of IFWDA’s local clubs (JPFrog Offroaders) is managing the logistics. REGISTRATION LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. Contact Jeremy Herring or Ryan Sweany for more info.

Jeremy Herring (765)891-9894 Ryan Sweany (317)709-4813 or rsweany@gmail.com

Of course, feel free to post up here as well. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about this event, the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association, or 4-wheeling in general.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Sounds like a fun time! I have some questions though.

I have a TJ so could I bring a passenger for the day (GF)? That would leave me with 2 seats for passengers.

What day/shift is needed mostly? I could probably do any.

My Jeep is lifted with 35" BFG KM2s and has a winch and what-not so could it handle the trail? I have some off-road experience, not a lot though. I've wheeled Redbird SRA, friend's land, etc...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like a fun time! I have some questions though.

I have a TJ so could I bring a passenger for the day (GF)? That would leave me with 2 seats for passengers.

What day/shift is needed mostly? I could probably do any.

My Jeep is lifted with 35" BFG KM2s and has a winch and what-not so could it handle the trail? I have some off-road experience, not a lot though. I've wheeled Redbird SRA, friend's land, etc...
    Your GF is welcome to come, but I doubt she will want to ride shotgun all day. Plenty of other activities she may want to try (bows, shotguns, canoes, etc...), or we can put her to work <grin>. My wife will be there as well, helping out.

Stock Jeeps will handle the "trail", so one on 35's will be fine. This is a "ride" for our guests, not "real" wheeling.

Our busiest time is Saturday afternoon, but any time would be a help. Thanks for the interest!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Your GF is welcome to come, but I doubt she will want to ride shotgun all day. Plenty of other activities she may want to try (bows, shotguns, canoes, etc...), or we can put her to work <grin>. My wife will be there as well, helping out.

Stock Jeeps will handle the "trail", so one on 35's will be fine. This is a "ride" for our guests, not "real" wheeling.

Our busiest time is Saturday afternoon, but any time would be a help. Thanks for the interest!
    Ok sounds good! I'll sign up for Saturday afternoon. I figured that would be the busiest. Sounds like fun!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I hope I signed up correctly, the DNR site asked if I was a member of a club, I selected "yes" and said JPFrog off-roaders. I hope I did that right so they'll know I'm doing the Jeep rides. Not just volunteering for anything.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I hope I signed up correctly, the DNR site asked if I was a member of a club, I selected "yes" and said JPFrog off-roaders. I hope I did that right so they'll know I'm doing the Jeep rides. Not just volunteering for anything.
    Huh... Looks like they changed their form.... again.....

I'm sure it is fine. The important one is OUR form (the first one). :)

I'll check w/ the DNR and see where you landed. I'm sure its fine (gotta love working with the State).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Mine is not an open top jeep, would I qualify?
    Sure! You may not be as popular as the convertibles, at least until it starts raining. :laugh:

We will certainly put you to work, and would welcome the help.

Second thought: I have a sawz-all. You COULD have a convertible in less than an hour!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Sure! You may not be as popular as the convertibles, at least until it starts raining. :laugh:

We will certainly put you to work, and would welcome the help.

Second thought: I have a sawz-all. You COULD have a convertible in less than an hour!

By work you mean drive around in my less then popular jeep?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The "popularity" comment is simply an observation from past events. Unless it is raining (and we run rain or shine), kids want to ride "topless".

You can drive, help load/unload, help sign-in, work the crowd, do trail maintenance, etc.... There is no such thing as "extra hands" at this event!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Let me check with wife, but I'm very interested
    Bring her, too. Lots of stuff to do, even if we don't put HER to work. My wife and kiddo will likely be there part of the weekend as well.

There are something like 50 other activities this weekend. Shooting, canoeing, biking, etc....

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Bring her, too. Lots of stuff to do, even if we don't put HER to work. My wife and kiddo will likely be there part of the weekend as well.

There are something like 50 other activities this weekend. Shooting, canoeing, biking, etc....

She's a bit pregnant...most likely I'll be the only one going. Perhaps I'll bring my guns... :P

Top Bottom