• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    So I picked up this shotgun from a fellow INGOer to use as a project build. Plan was to chop it down, still keeping it legal, refinish the stock, and polish the barrel. So here is what it looked like originally…
    picture.php

picture.php

Next step was to take my measurements, and decide how short I wanted to go. I did my overall measurement first to see where I could afford to cut the barrel. Once I determined where I wanted my cut I used a grease pen and made my mark. From that mark I then re-measured and made the mark on the stock. I decided to keep the stock shape and just take about 6” off of it, that way it can still be shoulder fired. To cut the barrel and keep it nice and straight I used a Lenox Pipe Cutter with de-burring tool. Nice and slow and steady, and it worked like a charm. For the stock I used my Ryobi Chop Saw, and adjusted the angle to match the original angle of the stock. Unfortunately, my phone was dead and I was in such focus that I failed to take pics during this process.

After getting everything cut to where I wanted it was time to break it down to take note of worn out parts to see what needed replaced or fixed, and give it a good cleaning.
    picture.php

Next was onto stripping the stock. For this I wrapped the stock in a couple of shop towels and then saturated the shop towels in lacquer thinner and let it sit in a shallow container overnight. The next day I took a sanding block with 100 grit sandpaper and began lightly sanding to remove the original color, and get down to the bare wood. The hardest part was not being too aggressive around the original lines of the stock, since I was trying to keep its shape. Once I got it striped down to the bare woods I used 200 grit paper to finish the wood to prep it for staining. (The staining will come later)
    picture.php

picture.php

Now on to the barrel… I cut the barrel down to 18 ¼” and decided that I was going to re-finish the entire barrel, and wanted to give it a mirrored polished finish. So I started sanding… and sanding… and sanding… I started with 400 grit paper and once I removed a majority of the finish I wiped it down with lacquer thinner. Then I repeated the process with 600 grit, and then repeated again with 800 grit, then 1,000 grit, then I finished out the process with 1,500 grit. Now that I had it down to bare metal I broke out the Mother’s Metal Polish and started buffing. I rubbed a nice coat of polish on there with a microfiber towel and let it set until it glazed over. Once it glazed up, I wiped it off and repeated that process about 2 more times. The end result turned out excellent IMO; not sure how it will hold up but we’ll see. I thought about leaving the bare metal and then putting a clear coat over it, but I think I like the polished look better. I think the polished barrel with the aged looking receiver looks sharp.
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

To Be Continued... See Post #11 For Final Steps...

Comments, compliments, critiques. Everyone has their own opinion so feel free to share. I'm pretty open minded so if you don't like say so, it won't hurt my feelings and I'll try not to get defensive.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Very nice job. Really looks great so far. My guess is it will look better than new when you're done. Looking forward to the seeing the finished product. :yesway:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Final Steps

…Continuation from Post # 1…

Well since I had the barrel done and reassembled to the receiver I had to decide on a color for the stain. I knew I wasn’t a fan of the original dark color on the stock, so I wanted to stay with a lighter color but not too light. My first thought was to use the Gunstock color my Minwax, but after looking at a color samples I had it narrowed down to Golden Pecan and Cherry. I ended up going with the Cherry by Minwax. I had prepped the stock earlier in the process so it was already sanded and all I had to do was apply the stain. Using a new shop rag I applied a nice even coat to the stock and forearm and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then I took another shop rag and wiped the excess stain off. I let that coat of stain soak in for 30-40 minutes, and then repeated the process 2 more times, for a total of 3 coats of stain. From the final coat I let the stain dry completely for a little over 24 hours. Now that the stain was completely dry it was time for a coat of High Gloss Lacquer by Minwax. I ended up applying 3 coats of Lacquer, with 24 hours in between each coat, and used a foam brush for application.

Now that it’s finished here is the complete shotgun. Stevens 9478, with 18 ¼” polished barrel, and shortened re-finished stock.:rockwoot:
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Makes the perfect truck gun. Rides right next to me and is even maneuverable inside the truck. I can take it with one arm extended and the edge of the barrel can be right at the passenger window, or can bring it up cradled and it'll be right at the drivers window. And once I get to where I'm going it slides perfectly under the backseat out of sight.
    picture.php

picture.php

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Here's a couple pics from ^^ sempreobie's^^ shotty that I did. Barrel and cleaning was the only thing done on this one. Barrel had some rust on it and pitting, but I did the best I could with resources I had available.
    2013-09-25_20-45-16_598_zps4d787534.jpg

2013-09-25_20-45-26_180_zps5e8cf0bb.jpg

2013-09-25_20-45-59_824_zpsf4563615.jpg

2013-09-25_20-46-16_395_zps6fa63f09.jpg

2013-09-25_20-46-31_830_zpsdbb63f4d.jpg

Top Bottom