• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Have anyone carried in Ohio? We are taking trip at the end of the week, Ohio does not recognize indiana's carry permit so I called the Ohio attorney generals office to inquire the laws.....according to their office I can Open Carry without a permit but to Concealed Carry I have to have a permit. Does this sound right? Do any of you have any experience carrying in Ohio that can shed some light on this or how to carry within the their laws.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Have anyone carried in Ohio? We are taking trip at the end of the week, Ohio does not recognize indiana's carry permit so I called the Ohio attorney generals office to inquire the laws.....according to their office I can Open Carry without a permit but to Concealed Carry I have to have a permit. Does this sound right? Do any of you have any experience carrying in Ohio that can shed some light on this or how to carry within the their laws.

Gun off of me when I go there, I don't bother and only live 35 minutes away.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That advice is correct.

Your best bet for the future is to get an [STRIKE]Arizona[/STRIKE], Florida, or Utah permit.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That is correct but be advised that they consider carry inside a vehicle as concealed carry. Do not have it loaded once you enter the vehicle and just another bit of info to consider is they also view a loaded magazine to be the same as a loaded firearm. The magazine must be empty as well.

My advice would be to research more about the carry or possession laws in Ohio because they have additional ones. I can conceal carry in Ohio because I have a non Res Utah CC permit but there are additional laws that I must follow.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Excuse my ignorance, but how do you get a permit from one of those states?

For Arizona and Florida, you go to the states respective web sites. Arizona is Dept. of Public Safety. Don't know about Florida. You can find both with a web search. Submit the application with your proof of training and other materials and they send the permit to you.

For Utah, you have to take the Utah class. The instructor usually helps with the application afterward.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    That advice is correct.

Your best bet for the future is to get an Arizona, Florida, or Utah permit.
    While the Ohio AG has said that he will not prosecute those carrying in Ohio with an Arizona non resident permit, it is still illegal. Better to go with just Florida or Utah.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    They told me at the AG office that Indiana has no reciprocity with Ohio. The firearm has to be in a separate compartment than the driver and the ammo has to be separate from the firearm. I didn't ask about requirement to notify the officer in the event of a stop. This was 2 weeks ago before our cedar point vacation.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    For Arizona and Florida, you go to the states respective web sites. Arizona is Dept. of Public Safety. Don't know about Florida. You can find both with a web search. Submit the application with your proof of training and other materials and they send the permit to you.

For Utah, you have to take the Utah class. The instructor usually helps with the application afterward.

Again sorry about my ignorance here, but what class do I need to take to show proof of training. I am in Bloomington, anyone know where the closest class is? Thanks again

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Utah requires a specific class. There are instructors here in Indiana. Florida and Arizona require less specific training. Many NRA classes will qualify as will a military DD214. Check the relevant state sites for more info.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    They told me at the AG office that Indiana has no reciprocity with Ohio. The firearm has to be in a separate compartment than the driver and the ammo has to be separate from the firearm. I didn't ask about requirement to notify the officer in the event of a stop. This was 2 weeks ago before our cedar point vacation.

Thats where we are headed, I asked the AG's office about If I needed to notify an LEO if I was stopped and they said they did not see any reason why I would need to other than courtesy for the LEO. We are staying at the hotel at Cedar Point itself, did you have any issues carrying there?

Ridgeman4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Middletown
    Thats where we are headed, I asked the AG's office about If I needed to notify an LEO if I was stopped and they said they did not see any reason why I would need to other than courtesy for the LEO. We are staying at the hotel at Cedar Point itself, did you have any issues carrying there?

You have been given false information here. In Ohio you have a 'Duty to Inform' the LEO that you have a license to carry a concealed handgun and that you have one on you.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I believe that is partially correct. You must immediately inform a LEO but only if you have a license to carry concealed and have a loaded firearm on you or in the vehicle.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Regarding Utah classes: I did a class with some people who have a company called carrysafely (go to carrysafely.com). At the time (year or two ago) I couldn't find any classes in the Indy area, so I took their class which was offered in Illinois one Saturday (I drove to Illinois to get a Utah license in order to carry in Ohio, go figure). They gave the class, walked you through the forms, tooks photos and fingerprinted, all in one shot. They even mailed everything. Since I got my Utah license, I've seen offerings of classes at some of the local Gander Mountain stores (including my local store in Castleton). The Utah permit does not require live fire training, and is very inexpensive to renew. Several states honor Utah permits that do not honor Indiana.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    While the Ohio AG has said that he will not prosecute those carrying in Ohio with an Arizona non resident permit, it is still illegal. Better to go with just Florida or Utah.

Oops! I apologize for my error! I have crossed-out the Arizona in my original message. Thanks!

Top Bottom