• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We still dont know when we will open back up. The positions for Range Officers or whatever its listed as with Indy Parks have been posted and all of us who have worked as ROs there before have re-applied to be hired back on... The postion of Cheif Range Officer still needs to be filled also...

Im sure once we know something about when (if) the range will open, we'll work to get the word out.

...refunds...you'll have to talk to Indy Parks...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I spoke with the director of parks yesterday when he stopped by the range for a quick tour. He is very interested in getting public access to the range re-established as soon as they can do it. We have offered to help if there is anything we can do.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Then I'll be seeking a refund to my pass that "never expires"

Yep. I still have a few spots remaining on my ticket which need to get punched.

Is the range part of Indy Parks property?

Let me see if I got this straight...

So...in addition to the taxes I pay to help fund Indy Parks, I...a mere filthy, unwashed, tax-paying citizen... paid an additional fee to use their facilities which I now can no longer use?

Are the cops still able to utilize the range?

Maybe they are the only ones...

So many questions...a guy could easily get disgusted.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    What the hell happened anyway? Seems to me they fired everybody, and closed the range to the public.

I may have missed it, but was there ever any official explanation?

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Those of us that are paid RO's are "seasonal" employees with Indy Parks and have to resign at the end of each year. We have to re-apply and then we can be re-hired the next year... I believe this has to do with claiming unemployment...or preventing "seasonals" from being able to do so. We have not yet been re-hired and they still need to fill the Chief RO position as well.

We've been trying to keep up with any updates from Indy Parks and Im sure as soon as we know anything we'll work to get to word out when the range will open back up.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I still see squad cars come and go, more than just the usual ones that sit there. But I haven't heard gunfire either. I live right across I65 from the range and usually hear them n the eves. Like an idiot, I have driven by there the past 3 weekends just hoping to see a "Yes, we are open" sign. Hasn't happened. With binoculars, I could almost tell from home if they were open or not.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The police still use the range so you will see that traffic.

I have been told by multiple folks that the range was built with Federal grant money and it has to stay open per that agreement. The question now is when will it open.

I have emailed a contact with the park system and have not gotten much info other than they need to fill the supervisor position and then the Ro's. After the first email response I have not gotten any responses to my follow up emails. The same has happened with last seasons RO's. So we have been in the dark as well. The hope is that the old staff will get rehired to run things. I am hoping to fill the supervisor position but it hasn't been posted for anyone to apply for.

Once one of the former RO's gets any info we will update the site.

As BeeRian said if you want a refund you can contact Indy parks. I believe someone else has already gotten a refund for the 10-visit pass.

We want the range to open up as bad as you guys do. It has been my weekend gig for a few summers now and I am itching to get back in the swing of things.

Thanks,
    James

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I still see squad cars come and go, more than just the usual ones that sit there. But I haven't heard gunfire either. I live right across I65 from the range and usually hear them n the eves. Like an idiot, I have driven by there the past 3 weekends just hoping to see a "Yes, we are open" sign. Hasn't happened. With binoculars, I could almost tell from home if they were open or not.

We've been running day shift only training for the past couple of weeks instead of two shifts a day.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    None yet. One of the ROs spoke with someone at Indy Parks last week and they are still trying to decide on how they want the range run and by who when it opens back up.

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    We've been running day shift only training for the past couple of weeks instead of two shifts a day.

Sigh. So IMPD now has exclusive use of the range -- and has cut back how much they use it?

This is all the more reason to get it open to the public again. I wonder if this is more of Mayor Ballard's hostility to gunowners.

Who has the background on the often-mentioned funding caveat that carried a requirement for public access? It might be time to dig up a few bucks and have an attorney write 'em a letter to help remind the city of their obligation -- if it's not just a rumor.

Top Bottom