The Legacy of Dr. Andrew Wakefield: Myth or Fact?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Dr. Andrew Wakefield and his famous 'Autism' research paper have been the subject of many debates. He is referenced often here on INGO. I would summarize the popular sentiment towards him as: "A fraudulent quack who published fraudulent research claiming that vaccines cause autism. Since he is a fraud, vaccines can not cause autism."

This sentiment is roughly 0% accurate and I would like to put some of the falsehoods to rest.

Myth: Dr. Wakefield published research showing that vaccines cause autism.

False. This is a gross exaggeration of the relatively small study showing a correlation between the MMR vaccination and colitis, which seemed to coincide with the onset of behavioral symptoms including autism. A small group of 12 children were studied and this was never intended to be an exhaustive study, but a starting point or possible hypothesis to be tested in future studies. [SUP](1)

[/SUP]This was the final interpretation presented by the paper: "We identified associated gastrointestinal disease and developmental regression in a group of previously normal children, which was generally associated in time with possible environmental triggers."

Myth: When his paper was published, Dr. Wakefield publicly announced that parents should not vaccinate their children, causing an epidemic of otherwise preventable diseases.

False. At the time of publishing, Dr. Wakefield's public statements pertained to the combination of three separate viruses in a single MMR vaccine. He did not recommend avoiding these vaccines, he tentatively recommended that they be separated and administered individually. [SUP](2)[/SUP]

In fact, following these statements and the public response, the U.K. government banned the individual dose alternatives to the MMR vaccine, leaving parents with no access to what they perceived to be a safer option. [SUP](3)[/SUP]

Myth: Dr. Wakefield's conclusions were incorrect.

False. The results that he published in his research (primarily the high incidence of lymphoid nodular hyperplasia and colitis in ASD children) have been independently reproduced in numerous peer-reviewed studies since his original Lancet piece. [SUP](4)[/SUP]

Myth: Dr. Wakefield studied and treated these children without the proper informed consent of the parents.

False. The parents of 8 of the 12 children studied wrote an open letter condemning any accusations towards this group of doctors. They described their experience as follows: "We were all treated with utmost professionalism and respect by all three of these doctors. Throughout our children’s care at the Royal Free Hospital we were kept fully informed about the investigations recommended and the treatment plans which evolved. All of the investigations were carried out without distress to our children, many of whom made great improvements on treatment so that for the first time in years they were finally pain free."

In addition, these parents were purposely excluded from all of the proceedings that occurred and were not allowed to provide their testimony in support of these doctors. [SUP](5)
    [/SUP]

Myth: The General Medical Council verified that there was fraudulent behavior on the part of these doctors.

False. The General Medical Council's handling of the initial proceedings was fundamentally flawed. Upon appeal, Professor Walker-Smith (Co-Author of the Lancet paper) was entirely vindicated. The judge stated that in the initial proceedings there had utilized "inadequate and superficial reasoning and, in a number of instances, a wrong conclusion". [SUP](6)[/SUP]

Myth: Dr. Wakefield had an undisclosed conflict of interest, as he was engaged by the Legal Aid Board.

False. This was already known by the Lancet, and he disclosed it publicly as well. [SUP](7)[/SUP]​

I remain unconvinced that the MMR vaccine is or was a significant factor in the development of autism spectrum disorders, although it has numerous other documented side effects. This paper did add to the mounting evidence that the gut plays a very important role in ASD; something that even the mainstream scientific community is beginning to accept and investigate.

Dr. Wakefield may or may not have been correct in his assessment of this evidence, but the attempts to vilify him are as spurious as they are transparent.

Sources:
    (1) Original Lancet Paper

Findings:
    Onset of behavioural symptoms was associated, by the parents, with measles, mumps, and rubella vaccination in eight of the 12 children, with measles infection in one child, and otitis media in another. All 12 children had intestinal abnormalities, ranging from lymphoid nodular hyperplasia to aphthoid ulceration. Histology showed patchy chronic inflammation in the colon in 11 children and reactive ileal lymphoid hyperplasia in seven, but no granulomas. Behavioural disorders included autism (nine), disintegrative psychosis (one), and possible postviral or vaccinal encephalitis (two). There were no focal neurological abnormalities and MRI and EEG tests were normal. Abnormal laboratory results were significantly raised urinary methylmalonic acid compared with agematched controls (p=0·003), low haemoglobin in four children, and a low serum IgA in four children.

Interpretation
    We identified associated gastrointestinal disease and developmental regression in a group of previously normal children, which was generally associated in time with possible environmental triggers.

(2) Press Conference

"I think if you asked members of the team that have investigated this they would give you different answers. And I have to say that there is sufficient anxiety in my own mind of the safety, the long term safety of the polyvalent, that is the MMR vaccination in combination, that I think that it should be suspended in favour of the single vaccines, that is continued use of the individual measles, mumps and rubella components."

"If you give three viruses together, three live viruses, then you potentially increase the risk of an adverse event occurring, particularly when one of those viruses influences the immune system in the way that measles does."

(3) BBC News Coverage

(4) A few of the many studies that verified his research:

(5) Letter From the Parents

(6) England and Wales High Court Decisions

(7) Dr. Wakefield's Published Letter

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Can you expand on the gut being a factor in ASD? Is this from the bacteria or other micro organisms living I the gut or is it more about nutrition or a combination?

This is great information as usual Steveh. I've read about 300 pages of crap today so I'm being a bit lazy and not investigating the gut myself.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Can you expand on the gut being a factor in ASD? Is this from the bacteria or other micro organisms living I the gut or is it more about nutrition or a combination?

This is great information as usual Steveh. I've read about 300 pages of crap today so I'm being a bit lazy and not investigating the gut myself.

There has been much anecdotal evidence that symptoms such as constipation and bowel pain often accompany autism, and it sparked quite a bit of research.

Micro-organisms have been the focus of a lot of the research. Viral, bacterial and fungal all may play a role. Some theorize that the GI symptoms may have a relationship with the serotonin system, some theories revolve around mitochondrial disorders.

This is probably why various diets have become commonplace among families with autistic children. The exact function of the diet is still not known for sure, but for some people the difference in behavior is quite noticeable.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    There has been much anecdotal evidence that symptoms such as constipation and bowel pain often accompany autism, and it sparked quite a bit of research.

Micro-organisms have been the focus of a lot of the research. Viral, bacterial and fungal all may play a role. Some theorize that the GI symptoms may have a relationship with the serotonin system, some theories revolve around mitochondrial disorders.

This is probably why various diets have become commonplace among families with autistic children. The exact function of the diet is still not known for sure, but for some people the difference in behavior is quite noticeable.

I definitely agree with diet being a powerful influence over behavior, disease, and proneness to disease. Unfortunately for many, there seems to be a disconnect on this issue. Many seem too complacent that what they eat doesn't make that big of a difference.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood

I find this very interesting. You are what you eat is more true than I believe most people are willing to admit. We treat all alignments initially with nutrition,herbs,tinctures etc....whatever is called for. My wife felt the onset of a bladder infection coming on. Treated it with echinacea tincture and a green tea and nettle infusion. I threw in some local raw honey for good measure and she was back to feeling normal within a few hours. 3 more treatments and she's good to go. It's amazing how many people I've been able to help with just a small amount of knowledge.

The GI tract is something I have never really investigated beyond a very topical level, probiotics and such is as far as I've really gotten. I wonder if a regular detox is something that would be helpful. Gum acacia, dandelion and black walnut (provided no nut allergy) come to mind as natural detoxifying agents that focus on stomach or digestive issues. Idk, but this is food for thought.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I definitely agree with diet being a powerful influence over behavior, disease, and proneness to disease. Unfortunately for many, there seems to be a disconnect on this issue. Many seem too complacent that what they eat doesn't make that big of a difference.

We once went to a pediatrician who told us that diet would have no effect on our children's behavior. We didn't go back to her.

The GI tract is something I have never really investigated beyond a very topical level, probiotics and such is as far as I've really gotten. I wonder if a regular detox is something that would be helpful. Gum acacia, dandelion and black walnut (provided no nut allergy) come to mind as natural detoxifying agents that focus on stomach or digestive issues. Idk, but this is food for thought.
    INGO
    This is a good thought, and may be worth looking in to. Especially considering mounting evidence that points to toxins such as Roundup having a correlation with ASD: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rch-shows-link-between-pesticides-autism.html

The destruction of the critical bacteria in the gut by a poison such as roundup could be the link they're looking for, but we'll have to wait and see.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    We once went to a pediatrician who told us that diet would have no effect on our children's behavior. We didn't go back to her.

INGO
    This is a good thought, and may be worth looking in to. Especially considering mounting evidence that points to toxins such as Roundup having a correlation with ASD: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rch-shows-link-between-pesticides-autism.html

The destruction of the critical bacteria in the gut by a poison such as roundup could be the link they're looking for, but we'll have to wait and see.

Again, unfortunately, many people don't want to think about the fact that excessive pesticide/herbicide use on food, roundup-ready crops and the like could have a negative impact.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Again, unfortunately, many people don't want to think about the fact that excessive pesticide/herbicide use on food, roundup-ready crops and the like could have a negative impact.

It does...Insects and other things that damage crops really take a beating from that stuff...Sad really but we got to feed folks I guess....

Love the wickiup in your avatar...A guy I used to reenact 18th century with portrayed a Shawnee would set one up similiar at events...the most comfortable dang thing in the world.....

The 1861 Navy is the most beautiful percussion revolver ever designed...I have toyed with getting one and having a gunsmith do a conversion to .38...I have seen some originals that were converted after the Civil War and they are...Elegant....

It's not that people don't "want to think about the fact"....It's just that some folks, many with autistic children, have researched it and have come to different conclusions...Not because they are ignorant or stupid but think that genetics play a much greater role...I do undertand the need to try to "blame" something when life throws you a curveball..

Believe me I do....

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    indiucky said:
    It's not that people don't "want to think about the fact"....It's just that some folks, many with autistic children, have researched it and have come to different conclusions...Not because they are ignorant or stupid but think that genetics play a much greater role...I do undertand the need to try to "blame" something when life throws you a curveball..

I agree with you about genetics playing an important role, but the mounting evidence against Monsanto and Roundup is becoming pretty hard to ignore.

Have you considered that genetics create a predisposition towards toxin damage? I am fairly convinced that there are several factors at work and it is making it very difficult to identify the issues.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom