• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtmerkley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Farm Near St Anthony, Indiana
    Is it legal to own a Grenade Launcher in Indiana? I never See any at class 3 dealers. If they are legal what are the best makes and models in current production? If I went through all the trouble to buy one could I even get the ammo for it?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As far as I know, grenade launchers (Destructive Devices) are not regulated by Indiana statutes. However, (and this is the fun part), the launcher is an NFA item and needs a $200 tax stamp. EVERY ROUND is also a DD and requires its own tax stamp as well. Some launchers can launch chalk or smoke rounds. Those rounds are not DD's and don't require stamps.

You can expect to pay around $125 for each M576 buckshot round (plus the tax stamp), or around $25 each for smoke/chalk.

This site might interest you if you're looking to buy:

AUTOWEAPONS.COM

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As far as I know, grenade launchers (Destructive Devices) are not regulated by Indiana statutes.

Large bore Destructive Devices (i.e. street sweepers, mortars, etc) are not, but explosive Destructive Devices (i.e. grenades, bombs, etc) are prohibited by state law.

IC 35-47.5-2-4
    "Destructive device"
    Sec. 4. (a) "Destructive device" means:
    (1) an explosive, incendiary, or overpressure device that is
    configured as a:
    (A) bomb;
    (B) grenade;
    (C) rocket with a propellant charge of more than four (4)
    ounces;
    (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of
    more than one-quarter (1/4) ounce;
    (E) mine;
    (F) Molotov cocktail; or
    (G) device that is substantially similar to an item described
    in clauses (A) through (F);
    (2) a type of weapon that may be readily converted to expel a
    projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant
    through a barrel that has a bore diameter of more than one-half
    (1/2) inch; or
    (3) a combination of parts designed or intended for use in the
    conversion of a device into a destructive device.
    (b) The term does not include the following:
    (1) A pistol, rifle, shotgun, or weapon suitable for sporting or
    personal safety purposes or ammunition.
    (2) A device that is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon.

IC 35-47.5-5-2
    Destructive devices
    Sec. 2. A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) possesses;
    (2) manufactures;
    (3) transports;
    (4) distributes;
    (5) possesses with the intent to distribute; or
    (6) offers to distribute;
    a destructive device, unless authorized by law, commits a Class C felony.
    As added by P.L.123-2002, SEC.50.

However, (and this is the fun part), the launcher is an NFA item and needs a $200 tax stamp.

For a 40mm launcher, this is true. However, 37mm launchers, for which no anti-personnel rounds are readily available, are sold as "flare launchers" and are unregulated.

EVERY ROUND is also a DD and requires its own tax stamp as well.

If it's explosive/anti-personnel, this is true. And such rounds would also be forbidden by state law as mentioned above. However, 40mm inert/training/marking rounds are unregulated, as are fixtures like the "Beehive," which allow a 40mm grenade launcher to simultaneously fire 20-some rounds of .22LR... :D

If you're looking at dropping the coin on a real 40mm grenade launcher (DD), then LMT is the only way to fly.
    Lewis Machine & Tool Company :: www.lewismachine.net

If you are willing to settle for a 37mm launcher, there are a number of manufacturers out there, and prices come WAY down.

Last edited:

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, you can own grenade launchers in Indiana, they have to be registered as a destructive device (DD). HE grenades, however, are not available to civilians in Indiana. You can buy chalk, smoke or flare rounds and multi-shot .22lr rounds. Randy Shivak makes M203 grenade launchers and those are regarded as some of the best. Colt also made them, but they are more expensive than the Shivaks. A new company, I believe it was called HAVOC, was making a 37mm launcher that a lot of people were boring out to 40mm. Cobray/Ect. also made a 37mm M203 clone, but it's not safe to bore out to 40mm. There is also the USGI 40mm M79 if you wanted to go that route.

If all you plan on doing is launching flares and smoke and having something cool looking hanging on your AR, I'd just go with a 37mm. 40mm rounds are expensive and kinda hard to get, you can get a 26.5mm adapter and some Czech flares or smokes pretty cheap.

:twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Large bore Destructive Devices (i.e. street sweepers, mortars, etc) are not, but explosive Destructive Devices (i.e. grenades, bombs, etc) are prohibited by state law.

IC 35-47.5-2-4

Thanks, I was looking for the DD IC's but couldn't find it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    On review, I think you are correct. :yesway:

yes he is! Lots of folks who have these 'roll their own' ammunition. I've seen the 40mm cases loaded with dowels, bouncy balls, potatoes, bean bags, confetti, you name it. I REALLY want a 40mm to round out my NFA collection (I don't have a DD) but I won't pay what LMT and Colt launchers are bringing.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, now I'm wondering. I hate it when my creative imagination goes to work and ends up costing me money.

How does a launcher work? Isn't it just like a big bore firearm? Trigger, sear, hammer, firing??, barrel etc.?

So in other words, it should be fairly easy to make your own, and use existing trigger/sear parts adapted from another gun.

Is it really that easy? Can DD's be made on a Form 1?

Also, I'm trying to understand this "beehive" round. I've always heard about it, but never knew what it was. So this is like an adapter the same size as a grenade round that goes into the chamber, then fires multiple .22 lr rounds out of multiple chambers? Wouldn't that constitute firing more than 1 round of ammunition with a single pull of the trigger?

Sorry for all the newb questions. DD's aren't something I've really had an interest in before, but this thread has piqued my interest.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    yes he is! Lots of folks who have these 'roll their own' ammunition. I've seen the 40mm cases loaded with dowels, bouncy balls, potatoes, bean bags, confetti, you name it. I REALLY want a 40mm to round out my NFA collection (I don't have a DD) but I won't pay what LMT and Colt launchers are bringing.

Oh, man. A launcher loaded with super balls would be the bee's knees!

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, now I'm wondering. I hate it when my creative imagination goes to work and ends up costing me money.

How does a launcher work? Isn't it just like a big bore firearm? Trigger, sear, hammer, firing??, barrel etc.?

So in other words, it should be fairly easy to make your own, and use existing trigger/sear parts adapted from another gun.

Is it really that easy? Can DD's be made on a Form 1?

Also, I'm trying to understand this "beehive" round. I've always heard about it, but never knew what it was. So this is like an adapter the same size as a grenade round that goes into the chamber, then fires multiple .22 lr rounds out of multiple chambers? Wouldn't that constitute firing more than 1 round of ammunition with a single pull of the trigger?

Sorry for all the newb questions. DD's aren't something I've really had an interest in before, but this thread has piqued my interest.

Pretty much like a big shotgun. Given your machining/fabrication knowledge I'd say you could make one. I had one of the Cobray/Ect. 37mm launchers and it looked pretty simple. If you made a beefed up version of that you could easily do 40mm.

The .22 beehive rounds I've seen are 10 or 18 rounds, they look like one of the grenades with a bunch of holes in the tip. The firing pin hits a primer in the back of the round which has a striker for each .22 round. Not sure on why this doesn't constitute an MG, but I sure wouldn't want to stir the pot with that one.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom