• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I know this has probably been done but I didn't search and am interested to know the results. I have personally become attached to the .40 cal round. Whats your favorite? I know there are other rounds but I just posted the more common rounds. Feel free to list yours if you like something other than whats listed.

.380 ACP
    .9 Luger
    .40 S&W
    .45 ACP

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    - .380 for pocket/ankle carry
    - 9mm Sub-Compact for summer concealed carry
    - .45 ACP 5" 1911 for winter concealed carry (this would be my summer carry as well, but I have yet to find a subcompact .45 ACP that doesn't kick like a mule and I cannot yet afford to jump into a Kimber Ultra Carry....

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    10mm Auto.

Second time I've posted this gem today :rockwoot::

10mm-2.jpg

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I love the .45. I also love the 9mm. The .40 is a nice round, but I have no use for it. It's either .45 or 9mm for me. Nothing in between. If I'm looking for high cap and plinking, then 9mm it is.....stopping power and overall defense has to be the .45. I will carry a .380 when a mouser is necessary, but I never plink with .380 or care to have any full-size .380 pistols.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I like the 9mm for it's gentle recoil and superb controllability. I like the .45 for it's inherent accuracy, and ease of reloading. I think the 9mm is a pain in the rear to load really good ammo for, personally.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm a .40 man myself. It's considerably smaller than a .45 and considerably larger than a 9mm, and easy to find, and cheap to practice with. To me, it is the best option for carry because of it's size. However, I just posted in another thread that I feel the .357 Magnum is the supreme round of rounds.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I own 9mm and .45ACP, and I voted .45. I've benn looking REALLY hard at .40S&W's as that's what there's piles of at all my local Wally Worlds... sad way to pick a caliber.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    :D (yeah folks, it's just humor. The 10mm is a great round but it's not for everyone...)

I wish the .40 had never come along. The 10mm with mid-power loads was exactly what the .40 is, and you had the option of carrying full power rounds when the situation calls for it, just like carrying a .357 Magnum revolver. Sadly, it'll never be able to be developed to it's full maturity. Factory load development has pretty much stopped, and the round hasn't evolved further.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I wish the .40 had never come along. The 10mm with mid-power loads was exactly what the .40 is, and you had the option of carrying full power rounds when the situation calls for it, just like carrying a .357 Magnum revolver. Sadly, it'll never be able to be developed to it's full maturity. Factory load development has pretty much stopped, and the round hasn't evolved further.

I'm with you there, though I understand the evolution of the .40. I can't say that the 10mm hasn't evolved further though: there've been a couple smaller manufacturers that have come out with some extremely good rounds in the last couple of years and the round has seen an uptick in popularity in the last few years. Mostly fueled by hunters and handloaders.

I think it is a good example of a round that was a little too ahead of its time and then got overcome by superior marketing. My prediction is that while we'll never see it being tops in popularity, it'll gain a little more market share in the next decade.

Counselor1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Big fan of the 10mm, and it would have been my choice if it were an option. I am actually seeing more 10mm ammo on the shelves these days than about 3 years ago. Granted, the ammo isnt the full power rounds. But, there is always handloading and DoubleTap ammo for that.

Also, more manufacturers are offering firearms calibered for the 10mm. Besides Glock and Colt with the autos, S&W has come out with a couple of revolvers calibered in 10mm.

I also know of some le forces (both local and county) switching to the 10mm. I still have hope for this round to make a come-back. It's still a relatively "new" round that until recently has been neglected.

Top Bottom