• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Does anyone have any experience with Primary Arms clones? I've heard good things, but I'm curious what INGOers think.

Specifically, I'm curious about the Gen2 Aimpoint Micro clone.

Primary Arms

Last edited:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have the Primary Arms Aimpoint M3 clone on one of my AR's, It's nothin' but nice. Another member put me on to one last time I was at Roush. I read some reviews on AR15.com, and they were almost all very positive. The customer service at Primary Arms is top notch also. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford a real Aimpoint I'd have one, but it is what it is.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Looking for a Micro Clone too...

:popcorn:

I've seen some on eBay, but they're probably junk. Seems like Primary Arms and rrages.com have some quality clones...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    *** UPDATE ***

Here was my initial review upon receiving a Gen2 Micro clone:

Mr. Postman dropped off an interesting little toy today. An Aimpoint T1 Micro clone from a company called Primary Arms. Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)

I'd REALLY like to upgrade to a real Aimpoint Micro someday, but the funds and necessity just aren't there right now. Primary Arms recently marked there entire lineup of Micro knockoffs as "Blemished", because this batch didn't meet their QC spec of being a completely sealed unit. You can read more about this deal here: Pics and comments about the Micro Dot - AR15.COM

The good news about the "Blemished" deal was that price on this unit was only $59! I added a $30 quick-release riser and the deal was still only $93 shipped. I've heard very positive reviews of the Primary Arms clones, so a sub-$100 RDS was just the ticket.

Initial impressions are quite positive, and I'll be reviewing it more completely in another thread at a later date.

hwa5xj.jpg

2lw6ro6.jpg

a5ji84.jpg

2wfs1nd.jpg

In the past few weeks, I have subjected the mounted optic to vastly different temperatures, in an effort to induce the "fogging" issue that some micro clones were having issues with. To date, I have NOT been able to get this thing to fog up inside at all.

Tonight was the first time I've shot the M4 with this new optic mounted. I started by zeroing the 4moa dot. Although it was initially off by as many as 12 clicks, I was quickly able to get it right on target. The adjustment knobs seem well-made, and the MOA clicks are positive-- you can hear and feel them. A tiny blade screwdriver or other similar tool is required to turn them.

The day was very overcast, so I was able to turn the power way down, to about 3 (out of 11). This provided a very clear, round dot.

After the initial zero, I was able to hit a 12" steel plate at 70 yards away, offhand, in the complete darkness, with only my weapon light lighting the way.

So far, I've been VERY impressed with this super-cheap knockoff. I think time will be the biggest challenge, and I look forward to seeing how it holds its zero, and how long the supplied battery lasts.

I will update when I've got more info!

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Yep, so far so good...........it's no Aimpoint Micro, but it does the job.
    I got the Gen 3 with the killflash.

PrimaryArms001.jpg

Along side of my Aimpoint H1

PrimaryArms018.jpg

PrimaryArms005.jpg

PrimaryArms012.jpg

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I do not have one of there micros.. but I do have there m3 clone.. Its awesome i beat the crap out of it and it holds zero! Its great

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Just wondering, do you need a riser to attatch to your gun, or can the Micro dot (gen2) attatch directly to your gun. I'm thinking about putting one on my AK ( I have a UTG Quad rail) and am afraid the riser might make it to tall?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just wondering, do you need a riser to attatch to your gun, or can the Micro dot (gen2) attatch directly to your gun. I'm thinking about putting one on my AK ( I have a UTG Quad rail) and am afraid the riser might make it to tall?

The riser is only for AR applications, and costs an additional $29.

Your AK should be OK with just the optic, which runs $59 (if they're still having the 'blem' sale). In fact, these are only "blemished" once you remove the base screws-- since you wouldn't ever do that when mounting it to an AK, you would never even have to worry about the fogging issue.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    The riser is only for AR applications, and costs an additional $29.

Your AK should be OK with just the optic, which runs $59 (if they're still having the 'blem' sale). In fact, these are only "blemished" once you remove the base screws-- since you wouldn't ever do that when mounting it to an AK, you would never even have to worry about the fogging issue.

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response. I think I'm going to order one of these tonight.
    Thanks for the review and the Help!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Sweet! Thanks for the quick response. I think I'm going to order one of these tonight.
    Thanks for the review and the Help!

No problem. They have very quick shipping times also. If you order it tonight, you will probably get it before the weekend. I expect pics. :yesway:

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    I ordered one as soon as esrice posted the first link, but just got around to installing it last week. So far, I haven't been able to "make" it fog up either. I havent been out to shoot it yet, (no rifle range at this time) but I'm hopeful I get the same results as Evan.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Glad to hear we are experiencing similar results Andy.

What do you have yours mounted on?

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    Glad to hear we are experiencing similar results Andy.

What do you have yours mounted on?
    I've got it mounted on my CMMG custom build that I assemblied with the help of ARdysfunction during the last build day.
    It will probably end up on my tacticool 10/22 once I break down and sell my current upper to buy a BCM upper and a "real" Aimpoint.

Top Bottom